Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can i tell if my Mac is been hacked ?

Hi everyone I recently noticed the game on my iPhone acting up like it chats on its own. at first didn't care cause its the type of chat in game where you choose one of those phrases, anyway chats keep popping and started to annoy me!

A couple day later I found a Macintosh HD window open looks like somebody selected private then var file then tmp to ended up in Sysdiagnose...tar.gz

first thing I did was learning about Sysdiagnose, I found that it contains sensitive information and I can't share it with anyone except Apple if needed. So please I need help to figure if my Mac is been hacked or not.

Thanks

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 28, 2019 4:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2019 5:05 PM

I think you are very right to be concerned based on what you're describing.

First, I would run Malware Bytes which you can use for a full free trial:

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

What I suggest is that if it finds anything you take a screen shot of the results before you let it remove what it finds, and post that screen shot here. I am wondering if you have Team Viewer installed. A lot of fake-support places install Team Viewer to gain remote control access to your Mac. Have you had any support calls with anybody (especially where you had to "pay" them)?

I would also go to System Preferences -> Sharing. Do you have any of these sharing services turned on?

Is this MacBook Pro from a university or corporate environment where a server administrator may have had legitimate reason to be remote accessing your machine?

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2019 5:05 PM in response to badro192

I think you are very right to be concerned based on what you're describing.

First, I would run Malware Bytes which you can use for a full free trial:

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

What I suggest is that if it finds anything you take a screen shot of the results before you let it remove what it finds, and post that screen shot here. I am wondering if you have Team Viewer installed. A lot of fake-support places install Team Viewer to gain remote control access to your Mac. Have you had any support calls with anybody (especially where you had to "pay" them)?

I would also go to System Preferences -> Sharing. Do you have any of these sharing services turned on?

Is this MacBook Pro from a university or corporate environment where a server administrator may have had legitimate reason to be remote accessing your machine?

how can i tell if my Mac is been hacked ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.