Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch and sending text message to android devices

Is it true that you can’t send a text message from your Apple Watch to an android device without your iPhone close by? I’ve tried everything and my apple Watch series 4 won’t send messages to android without my phone somewhere in the vicinity but I can make calls just fine. I’m getting tired of searching for answers

Apple Watch Series 4, watchOS 5

Posted on May 28, 2019 6:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2019 7:40 PM

Read this entire support document, including the footnotes to see what you can and cannot do with the Apple Watch without its paired iPhone nearby. How to use your Apple Watch without your iPhone nearby - Apple Support

12 replies

May 28, 2019 8:54 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

With my IPhone XS turned on and connected to WiFi or cellular I leave my iPhone at home I can’t send anything to an android phone the only thing I can do is call the android phone. If I have my iPhone with me I can send messages to android phones. Why is this happening? Is it a normal thing? Apple did not specify between android and apple.

May 29, 2019 1:05 PM in response to leroy262

I would think that should not be an issue, it may be something you would need to address with your carrier, or directly with Apple Support. I only have a couple of friends that have non-iOS devices, so it could be very difficult for me to test. Do you receive an error when you try? If so, can you provide the exact text of the error. I can try after work today and see if I can send one, and I'll report back.

May 29, 2019 1:10 PM in response to leroy262

leroy262 wrote:

With my IPhone XS turned on and connected to WiFi or cellular I leave my iPhone at home I can’t send anything to an android phone the only thing I can do is call the android phone. If I have my iPhone with me I can send messages to android phones. Why is this happening? Is it a normal thing?

It ought to work. I just sent a text this morning to an Android user from my Watch and I didn't have my phone.

May 29, 2019 4:36 PM in response to leroy262

If you read note 1 from the article above, your Watch should send SMS just fine w/o your iPhone around -- the iPhone needs to be on and have Wi-Fi or cellular connectivity wherever it is. Oh, and another caveat is that you must be signed into iMessage on your iPhone.

If you've met the conditions above, maybe sign out of iMessage on your iPhone, restart the iPhone, then sign back into iMessage (don't just turn iMessage off, actually sign out completely and perform a re-start of the iPhone).

If you continue to have trouble, I would talk to your carrier and have them check your account settings for your cellular Watch and/or iPhone.

May 29, 2019 5:48 PM in response to leroy262

Okay, as promised, I traveled a way from my house after leaving the phone there. I texted my niece, who has an Android device, and is in Northern Michigan, and I'm in Central Illinois. I verified my watch was connected to my cellular, and I had service. I sent her a text, she received it, responded to me, I received that, and we exchanged two more times, no problems.

As stated earlier, I think you need to check with your carrier, make sure that your eSIM is programmed correctly, and start over. Who is your carrier? I'm using AT&T in the US. Do you have a watch that is made for your location and a supported carrier? Are you able to do anything else with the Watch when just connected to cellular, like a phone call or iMessage?

Apple Watch and sending text message to android devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.