Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple watch series 6 (GPS + Cellular) text messages to non-iphone users

With Watch Series 4 that I have been using until yesterday, I have been able to send text messages to non-iphone users without any problem, even without iPhone near by, since my watch has always been having a cellular connection too.

After buying Series 6 and transferring the cellular connection, when I walk away from iPhone, I am able to text back and forth only with iPhone users and not Android users. Any fix for this, or do I have to anything in particular in Settings to make it work?

Apple Watch

Posted on Feb 6, 2021 8:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2021 12:46 PM

FYI: All SMS/MMS texting Must have the iPhone powered on and connected to the Internet. Even when you are miles away from the iPhone.

Basically the cellular chips used in the Apple Watch only talk LTE Data. They do not have the voice circuits of a traditional cell phone. Phone calls use VoIP (Voice over IP) which is data only.

But SMS/MMS texting requires the traditional cellular voice circuits. The Apple Watch deals with this by connecting to your iPhone (across the Internet if necessary), and your iPhone sends and receives all SMS/MMS text messages.

iMessage between iPhone users works because it is also a data only protocol.

As Chrisj4203 says, you should verify that your new Apple Watch is really connected to your cellular carrier's network. If it is, and you can make phone calls away from your iPhone, then make sure your iPhone is powered on and able to access the Internet so it can relay your SMS/MMS text messages.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2021 12:46 PM in response to rpg224

FYI: All SMS/MMS texting Must have the iPhone powered on and connected to the Internet. Even when you are miles away from the iPhone.

Basically the cellular chips used in the Apple Watch only talk LTE Data. They do not have the voice circuits of a traditional cell phone. Phone calls use VoIP (Voice over IP) which is data only.

But SMS/MMS texting requires the traditional cellular voice circuits. The Apple Watch deals with this by connecting to your iPhone (across the Internet if necessary), and your iPhone sends and receives all SMS/MMS text messages.

iMessage between iPhone users works because it is also a data only protocol.

As Chrisj4203 says, you should verify that your new Apple Watch is really connected to your cellular carrier's network. If it is, and you can make phone calls away from your iPhone, then make sure your iPhone is powered on and able to access the Internet so it can relay your SMS/MMS text messages.

Feb 6, 2021 7:27 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Thanks, I will gladly do that, but imagine a conversation between the provider call center agent and me as below:

Me: Text message not working to non-iPhone users from watch while away from my own iPhone

Agent: Was it working before and suddenly stopped working?

Me: Yes

Agent: Do you know if you changed anything or anything changed for you?

Me: Yes, I changed from Apple Watch Series 4 to Apple Watch Series 6

Agent: So, are you saying it worked fine when it was Series 4

Me: Yes

Agent: Then you need to contact Apple Support

That's why I first raised here. It's ok, I will still try to contact the provider. Thanks for your suggestion

Feb 6, 2021 7:29 PM in response to BobHarris

Yes BobHarris, I am able to make calls while away from iPhone, and even when I have switched off my iPhone

With Watch Series 4, I have been able to make and receive calls as well as text message from and to iPhone users as well as non-iPhone users. With Watch Series 6, everything else works while away from phone or switched off iPhone, except text messages to and from non-iPhone users

apple watch series 6 (GPS + Cellular) text messages to non-iphone users

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.