Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating firmware on AirPort Extreme

I am wondering if there is a way to upgrade the firmware on an AirPort Extreme as I had heard there was one last firmware update before support was ended for the Airport series routers and the router I have does not have access to the internet. With most other routers you can pull a firmware image and send it to the router via ftp/tftp service. Any info would be appreciated.

Posted on May 28, 2019 11:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2019 12:39 PM

If you have an older "flat" or "square" shaped AirPort Extreme.......one that looks like a small white pizza box......the most recent version of firmware is 7.6.9.

If you have the most recent "tall" or "tower" shaped AirPort Extreme......the most recent version of firmware is 7.7.9.

Apple notes that you need to have an Internet connection to update or roll back firmware on the AirPorts. If there is a workaround to download the firmware on another device and then transfer it to the AirPort, I can't find it, but maybe another user can help on that.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 29, 2019 12:39 PM in response to ninja661

If you have an older "flat" or "square" shaped AirPort Extreme.......one that looks like a small white pizza box......the most recent version of firmware is 7.6.9.

If you have the most recent "tall" or "tower" shaped AirPort Extreme......the most recent version of firmware is 7.7.9.

Apple notes that you need to have an Internet connection to update or roll back firmware on the AirPorts. If there is a workaround to download the firmware on another device and then transfer it to the AirPort, I can't find it, but maybe another user can help on that.

May 29, 2019 2:11 PM in response to ninja661

With most other routers you can pull a firmware image and send it to the router via ftp/tftp service. Any info would be appreciated.

Yes.. this is possible but a bit tricky.

Apple did not intend you to do it this way.. but the whole upgrade process has it built in.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7576150?answerId=30266385022#30266385022

You need to download the specific firmware for the specific Airport.

If you tell us exact model.. like Gen5 AE.. which has A1408 on the base we can give you the link to the firmware.

Your computer could have this info but if you have not connected to the internet for a long time it will be out of date.

May 29, 2019 8:01 AM in response to ninja661

The most recent firmware update was December 2017. Nothing else since that time.

IF.....an update were available, it would appear as an option when you open AirPort Utility and then click on the picture of the AriPort. An "Update" will appear if an update is available.

If no "Update" button appears, you already have the most recent version of firmware.

Updating firmware on AirPort Extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.