Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mojave Slowed iMac, Disabled WiFi & Time Machine Access

Upgrade to Mojave has caused my iMac to run extremely slowly, taking minutes to even login. WiFi icon now displays “x” and says “WiFi: No hardware installed” when clicked on; the Ethernet connection is not recognized. Entering Time Machine to do a Restore appears to allows access only to dates since the upgrade, and even though previous backups under High Sierra are listed on the right-hand side of the screen, they are not accessible.

I’ve verified that the Time Machine external drive and data are intact by connecting it to another Mac, and I’ve tried using different USB ports on my iMac to eliminate a bad port as the problem. The TM external drive is not appearing in Finder. Using the Disk Utility, however, I can see the drive and the Time Machine volume itself below it, but that volume is not mounted and does not respond to the Mount button.

I’ve reset SMC and NVRAM. I’ve restarted in Safe mode, which was also exceeding slow. Available Memory (9 GB of 16GB) and Drive space (1.4TB of 2TB) are not issues. I’ve checked the Activity Monitor and do not see any processes eating up CPU (95%+ available). FYI, I run Bitdefender antivirus and have a Bitdefender 2 box sitting behind the router for WiFi (in case that makes a difference).

I do not have a Recovery disk to reinstall macOS, either Mojave or High Sierra, although I believe that can be created on another Mac if that’s the best thing to do. (Since my iMac can’t access WiFi, I understand I can’t make that a bootable disk, which would allow me to do a clean install.) I’ve seen other replies here mention posting an EtreCheck log; I don’t have that app on my iMac.

Thanks in advance for your help in solving this dilemma.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015); 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5; 16GB 1867 MHz DDR3; 2TB Drive

Posted on May 29, 2019 6:33 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

May 29, 2019 11:25 AM in response to Bud422

You can check to see if you've removed all of the files by downloading and running Find Any File to search for any files with the application's name  and the developer's name in the file name.  For example for CleanMyMac you'd do two searches:

1 - Name contains cleanmymac
2 - Name contains macpaw

Do the same for bit defender.

Any files that are found can be dragged from the search results window to the Desktop or Trash Bin for deletion.

FAF can search areas that Spotlight can't like invisible folders, system folders and packages.

Lastly download and reapply the macOS Mojave 10.14.5 Combo Update

May 31, 2019 6:59 AM in response to Old Toad

Thanks to you all for responding to my issue. Ultimately, I resolved the problem by contacting Apple support. The senior advisor thought it likely the the antivirus software corrupted the installation; hence, removing it later didn't fix that issue. He had me delete the contents of Library/Caches, /Cookies, and Saved Application States. Then, use an Internet Recovery restart (Opt-Cmd-R) to restore from my pre-Mojave upgrade using Time Machine. Although it took hours (~0.5 TB), High Sierra is working perfectly again. The big take-aways here for others is that Antivirus software and CleanMyMac-type programs must be removed prior to attempting the upgrade to Mojave (and likely any other future version). The Apple Senior Advisor did say that reinstalling a Mojave-compatible version of antivirus software would not be a problem.

May 29, 2019 11:02 AM in response to macjack

I uninstalled the Bitdefender antivirus software, as well as the CleanMyMac app. Unfortunately, even after rebooting my iMac, it is still extraordinarily slow, and there is no change to the WiFi “no hardware installed” message, nor can the TM external drive be seen in Finder. One extra piece of information that I noticed when trying to get the Ethernet cable to access my home network without having to use WiFi, is per Network System Preferences says: “although the Ethernet cable is connected, the computer does not have an IP address”.

Also, I get occasional messages from Adobe Creative Cloud that it is trying to repair. Some issue (see attachment). I did hit Repair to see if it would, but it hardly gets started before hanging, possibly because it can’t get to the Internet.

May 29, 2019 6:39 AM in response to Bud422

Uninstall BitDefender, it may be the source of your issues. No Anti-Virus software or so-called “cleaning” apps are needed or recommended for Mac OS. They can conflict with Mac's own built-in security. At best they will slow your Mac by using unnecessary resources and at worst will bork your entire system.

You can download Etrecheck here:

https://etrecheck.com

Mojave Slowed iMac, Disabled WiFi & Time Machine Access

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.