Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wi-Fi Hardware not Installed

Some years back, after replacing the stock HD in my wife’s Mac Mini 4.1 (mid-2010) with an OWC 240 GB SSD, the previously working Wi-Fi no longer functioned. The icon was grayed-out and I got a message that “no Wi-Fi hardware was installed.” I thought I had dislodged a connector during the install and she’s been running on Ethernet cable ever since.

Today I plugged in a partitioned conventional external drive, which has a Mojave boot disk on one partition and a Time Machine back-up of my unsuccessful attempt at replacing Yosemite 10.10.5 with High Sierra on the other. After a week of funky operation, we went back to Yosemite.

In any case, when I rebooted, without holding down the option key, with this external drive plugged in, it booted from her internal drive at normal pace, but the darn Wi-Fi icon was black, and Wi-Fi, with the Ethernet cable unplugged, worked just fine. I tried this procedure again with the same result. But, when booted with that external drive unplugged the Wi-Fi was again disabled.

BTW. I’ve re-set NVRAM & SMC. Can anyone tell me what the problem might be? Obviously, the Wi-Fi hardware is in there and working.

Mac mini, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 1, 2021 6:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2021 7:12 PM

lititzdb Said:

"Wi-Fi Hardware not Installed: [...]when I rebooted, without holding down the option key, with this external drive plugged in, it booted from her internal drive at normal pace, but the darn Wi-Fi icon was black, and Wi-Fi, with the Ethernet cable unplugged, worked just fine. I tried this procedure again with the same result. But, when booted with that external drive unplugged the Wi-Fi was again disabled."

-------

Reinstall the macOS Anew:

If it is not hardware, then it is likely a mis configuration. So, you'd backup your Mac, erase the install, reinstall the macOS, and then transfer items back in to it. Perform the following in the order provided:

I. If it applies: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

Then...

II. Reinstall the macOS Anew:

Create the Installer: How to Get Old Versions of macOS - Apple Support

1. Boot: into Recovery Mode.
  2. Open: Disk Utilities
  3. Delete: the partition
  4. Reinstall: the macOS using the installer

Once Installed Anew...

III. Reinstall All the Software:

1. Use Migration Assistant to move Apps a Files back in.
  2. Ask developers for new software keys - but contact the developers only --- none other --- or you may end up with malware and spyware installed.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2021 7:12 PM in response to lititzdb

lititzdb Said:

"Wi-Fi Hardware not Installed: [...]when I rebooted, without holding down the option key, with this external drive plugged in, it booted from her internal drive at normal pace, but the darn Wi-Fi icon was black, and Wi-Fi, with the Ethernet cable unplugged, worked just fine. I tried this procedure again with the same result. But, when booted with that external drive unplugged the Wi-Fi was again disabled."

-------

Reinstall the macOS Anew:

If it is not hardware, then it is likely a mis configuration. So, you'd backup your Mac, erase the install, reinstall the macOS, and then transfer items back in to it. Perform the following in the order provided:

I. If it applies: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

Then...

II. Reinstall the macOS Anew:

Create the Installer: How to Get Old Versions of macOS - Apple Support

1. Boot: into Recovery Mode.
  2. Open: Disk Utilities
  3. Delete: the partition
  4. Reinstall: the macOS using the installer

Once Installed Anew...

III. Reinstall All the Software:

1. Use Migration Assistant to move Apps a Files back in.
  2. Ask developers for new software keys - but contact the developers only --- none other --- or you may end up with malware and spyware installed.

Jul 17, 2021 8:00 PM in response to lititzdb

lititzdb Said:

"Wi-Fi Hardware not Installed: [...]Unless someone can come up with a magic bullet to fix this situation, we'll stick with the ethernet connection and just wait until the machine becomes so antiquated that we have to replace it. This was always more about me, than about her actual needs."

-------

Some Things you Can Try:

A. Single Out this User:

See what happens when you create a new Administrator user. Log in to it, seeing if anything is different. If it works, then it is something misconfigured in this current user.

B. Remove Login Items:

Go To: System Preferences > Users & Groups > Click your Username > Login Items > Rid of Terminal, and remove any unnecessary items.

C. Reset the SMC and your NVRAM:

Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. updates), system configurations (i.e. for the keyboard) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM.

D. Try Safe Mode:

[Hold Down shift key] upon boot. In Safe Mode, corrupted system setting files (caches), are intentionally fixed.

1. Boot: in Safe Mode
  2. Log In: as Same User
  3. Wait: 30 seconds 
  4. Shut Down: the Mac
  5. Wait: 30 seconds 
  6. Boot: the Mac normally
  7. Log In: as Same User
  8. See if can get this to work

E.Try clearing your Temporary Internet Files. (History and Cache - Apple Discussion).

F. Uninstall Security Software:

Any Security Software installed on your computer? If so, uninstall it. Use the Uninstaller for to do so, getting the Uninstaller directly from my Developer’s site, as getting it else where may result in Malware or Spyware being installed. If you are uncertain which to download, then as the Developer. What is it doing is running you through VPN (Virtual Private Network), and your location is seen elsewhere — perhaps a location that this site is inaccessible to.

G. Scan your Mac for Malware: 

Use MalwareBytes for Mac --- This is software that searches for malware/adware. So, scan with it and then remove what is found. Once removed, uninstall MalwareBytes for Mac. Then restart the Mac.

Downloads:

1. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac
  2. Malwarebytes Uninstaller

Jul 27, 2021 5:58 AM in response to cormorant1

cormorant1 Said:

"This post was tremendously helpful.[...]again tried item D as a hail-mary - noticed WiFi symbol active in header bar when in Safe Mode; restarted per instruction and found WiFi symbol and working in header bar; used internet via WiFi with no problem"

-------

Thank you for that. Great to hear! "Item D" likely worked because of the SMC and NVRAM resets.

Jul 2, 2021 2:30 PM in response to TheLittles

Here's more info on that Wi-Fi quirk: Today I booted the Mini with that external drive connected. Again, the Wi-Fi icon filled out fully and Wi-Fi. worked. Then I ejected the external drive. Still worked. Then I detached the external drive. And Wi-Fi still worked. Slept the computer, woke it and it still worked. Of course, when I re-started without the external drive attached, I again saw the "X" in the i-Fi icon. Strange, because there is a standard, spinning drive always attached to the computer used for Time Machine back-up. Both connect via USB ports on the back of the computer.

Appreciate your detailed instructions, but my next effort is going to be to try to do an upgrade install of Sierra, the last OS that will handle the software she has without issues (she doesn't use this Mini much now that she has an iPad). As mentioned, an attempt to upgrade to High Sierra worked, but then initially had some issues. If I can get Sierra operating without problems and the Wi_Fi works with that system, I'll be content util the machne fails and we have to go really modern.

Jul 2, 2021 5:34 PM in response to lititzdb

lititzdb Said:

"Wi-Fi Hardware not Installed: [...]Of course, when I re-started without the external drive attached, I again saw the "X" in the i-Fi icon.[...]my next effort is going to be to try to do an upgrade install of Sierra, the last OS that will handle the software she has without issues (she doesn't use this Mini much now that she has an iPad).[...]If I can get Sierra operating without problems and the Wi_Fi works with that system, I'll be content util the machne fails and we have to go really modern."

-------

Keep Us up to Date:

If it is not working when the hard drive is attached, then it is a misconfiguration somewhere. So, keep us up to date, if you have any issues from proceeding with the upgrades.

Jul 17, 2021 7:35 PM in response to TheLittles

OK, I give up. Installed Sierra update and generally the thing seems to be running faster than with Yosemite. But although the wi-fi functioned normally on the first and second reboots, it has reverted to the previous modality, i.e. it only works if I boot the machine with the external (80gb SSD with a Mojave boot partition) connected.

My wife only uses this for email and internet, so I really don't want to go through the trauma of removing everything and having to migrate all the software that's on it that I occasionally use (adobe CS6, Filemaker Pro 9, Office 2011) and have to go through the whole installation regime they require.

Unless someone can come up with a magic bullet to fix this situation, we'll stick with the ethernet connection and just wait until the machine becomes so antiquated that we have to replace it. This was always more about me, than about her actual needs.

Jul 26, 2021 6:02 PM in response to TheLittles

This post was tremendously helpful. I have been dealing with an intermittent case of 'WiFi: No hardware installed' for some time causing concern about the continuing longevity of my mid-2009 MacBook Pro 17", which in every other respect continues in good health.

For the record this is my experience:

• initiated item D Try Safe Mode - first attempt resulted in auto-shut-down when 7/8 of way through the progress bar

• second try at item D - completed as indicated in instruction but still greyed out and x-d WiFi symbol in header bar

• tried item A check user-specificity - completed as directed, problem is same with other user so system-wide problem

• tried item C reset SMC and NVRAM - completed as directed, no change to WiFi symbol in header bar

• tried item B remove login items - completed as directed, no change to WiFi symbol in header bar

• again tried item D as a hail-mary - noticed WiFi symbol active in header bar when in Safe Mode; restarted per instruction and found WiFi symbol and working in header bar; used internet via WiFi with no problem

Thank you for these instructions. After many months of uncertainty this provided a mechanism to re-engage WiFi; previously I have only been able to recover it either by waiting days or by restarting multiple times (and often without success), both of which have induced considerable anxiety about my ability to continue to function with this machine.

Wi-Fi Hardware not Installed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.