Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Refuses to go into wifi recovery mode

When rebooting into WiFi recovery mode (CMD+OPT+R), the Mac allows me to choose my network and enter my password, and then it goes into spinning globe and a progress bar. After about 20 minutes, it goes into the recovery program where I can choose disk utility, reinstall OSX, etc. but there is no WiFi icon on the menu bar and when I go to reinstall Mac OS, it says I'm not connected to the internet. The Mac drive is erased and I am trying to restore to factory settings to sell the MacBook.

Any ideas?

2020 13" MacBook Pro Intel i5

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Dec 1, 2020 5:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2020 5:54 PM

Try connecting the laptop directly to your router using an Ethernet cable and a USB-C to Ethernet Adapter.

If you have access to another Mac you can create a bootable macOS USB installer:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

If the WiFi icon is missing it would seem to indicate a hardware issue so you will likely need to have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine the laptop and provide an estimate for repair.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2020 5:54 PM in response to jeck77

Try connecting the laptop directly to your router using an Ethernet cable and a USB-C to Ethernet Adapter.

If you have access to another Mac you can create a bootable macOS USB installer:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

If the WiFi icon is missing it would seem to indicate a hardware issue so you will likely need to have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine the laptop and provide an estimate for repair.

Dec 1, 2020 5:56 PM in response to jeck77

Do you have access to another Mac?

If yes, log in to the Mac App Store with your ID and download the macOS. If that other Mac supports Big Sur it is better once your Mac does too and you can use the newest version. If not, It must be Catalina then, the oldest version supported by your Mac.

Once downloaded, create a bootable installer How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Restart your Mac holding Option and choose the installer.

It might be you need to change the security for external boot media About Startup Security Utility - Apple Support. If you need to do that, then do it and reboot with Option to load the installer.

Once up, open Disk Utility and erase the disk How to erase your Intel-based Mac - Apple Support

Close DU and proceed installation.

You can also install the macOS on an external drive on that other Mac and then use it to boot your Mac and give it a fresh start.

After macOS is installed on your Mac, just don't set it up. Leave it that way so the buyer can continue the setup with his own information.

Refuses to go into wifi recovery mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.