Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

in recovery mode cannot istall macOSX Monteray no internet connection

Hi all

My first post here as I have almost torn all my hair out!!

2018 MacBook Pro A1990 running (or was) macOS Monterey

In recovery mode -Cmd/Option/R I’m asked select my wifi and enter password. Then when trying to reinstall OS Monterey I get error msg to the effect that there is no Internet connection. How come SDC I have entered my wifi details?

I can do Cmd/R and I get OS Sierra which seems to instal OK but fails right at the end.

what’s gone wrong

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Sep 8, 2023 9:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2023 2:29 AM

Welcome and Thank you to for the updated information

This method will WIPE ALL Data and there is No Recovery - Period.

>> Only works on Intel Based Apple Computer <<

To perform this action will require booting from a Bootable Installer

Make sure the destination for the USB Bootable Installer Drive is at least 16 GB Capacity

The Bootable Installer can Only be performed on an Apple Computer 

This will have to be performed from a Qualifying Computer to run the version of macOS to be made on the Bootable Installer.

Example : Bootable Installer of Monterey would have to be done on a computer that Qualifies to run Monterey.

Notation: If the computer being used to perform this action is Too New or Too Old to qualify to run the version of macOS - this computer can not be used.

Alternative is, to gain access to a Qualifying Apple Computer from a family member, friend or associate.

1 - Shutdown computer and disconnect all external drive Except the newly created Bootable Installer.

2- Restart and immediately hold the OPTION key until the Startup Manager appears and choose the USB Drive. 

3 - It will present options >> Disk Utilities >> View >> View ALL attached Drives. 

4 - Choose the Upper Most Drive ( not the volumes indented and list below ).

5 - The drive normally is called Apple Media or Apple SSD - that is the drive to Erase and format as APFS with the GUID Partition Map.

6 - Once that is done >> backup out of Disk Utilities and choose install macOS. 

7 - Follow the prompts and it may automatically reboot several time. 

8 - Upon a final reboot - Setup Assist will present with the newer version of macOS.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 10, 2023 2:29 AM in response to Plat255

Welcome and Thank you to for the updated information

This method will WIPE ALL Data and there is No Recovery - Period.

>> Only works on Intel Based Apple Computer <<

To perform this action will require booting from a Bootable Installer

Make sure the destination for the USB Bootable Installer Drive is at least 16 GB Capacity

The Bootable Installer can Only be performed on an Apple Computer 

This will have to be performed from a Qualifying Computer to run the version of macOS to be made on the Bootable Installer.

Example : Bootable Installer of Monterey would have to be done on a computer that Qualifies to run Monterey.

Notation: If the computer being used to perform this action is Too New or Too Old to qualify to run the version of macOS - this computer can not be used.

Alternative is, to gain access to a Qualifying Apple Computer from a family member, friend or associate.

1 - Shutdown computer and disconnect all external drive Except the newly created Bootable Installer.

2- Restart and immediately hold the OPTION key until the Startup Manager appears and choose the USB Drive. 

3 - It will present options >> Disk Utilities >> View >> View ALL attached Drives. 

4 - Choose the Upper Most Drive ( not the volumes indented and list below ).

5 - The drive normally is called Apple Media or Apple SSD - that is the drive to Erase and format as APFS with the GUID Partition Map.

6 - Once that is done >> backup out of Disk Utilities and choose install macOS. 

7 - Follow the prompts and it may automatically reboot several time. 

8 - Upon a final reboot - Setup Assist will present with the newer version of macOS.

Sep 9, 2023 5:23 AM in response to Plat255

Plat255 wrote:

Hi all

My first post here as I have almost torn all my hair out!!

2018 MacBook Pro A1990 running (or was) macOS Monterey

In recovery mode -Cmd/Option/R I’m asked select my wifi and enter password. Then when trying to reinstall OS Monterey I get error msg to the effect that there is no Internet connection. How come SDC I have entered my wifi details?

I can do Cmd/R and I get OS Sierra which seems to instal OK but fails right at the end.

what’s gone wrong

Something is very incorrect

OS X 10.12 Sierra was released in 2016 two year older than this computer

Use USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter to avoid the iffy Wifi connection

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP776?viewlocale=en_CA&locale=en_CA

Sep 9, 2023 9:26 AM in response to Plat255

Something still troubles me about this issue

User wrote " 2018 MacBook Pro A1990 running (or was) macOS Monterey "

User wrote " I can do Cmd/R and I get OS Sierra which seems to instal OK but fails right at the end. "

The fact that OS X 10.12 Sierra was presented would seem to call into question how OS X 10.12 was presented on such a computer

That or the assertion of this being a 2018 MacBook Pro A1990 is incorrect and was in fact an older model from a few years back.

Could that be possible ?

Sep 10, 2023 2:16 AM in response to PRP_53

I think you are right to raise this anomaly. Problem solved. After prying off the plats tic cover from the base.I can see that it is a A1707 not an A1990.

all I need to do now is somehow instal OS Monterey from a USB pen drive and, hopefully, they Mac will be back to normal.

I have IS Monterey on a pen drive but it is not yet bootable.

Making progress at last!

in recovery mode cannot istall macOSX Monteray no internet connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.