Cannot Connect to WiFi in Recovery Mode

Hello!

I recently bought a secondhand Macbook Pro M2 and I erased the hard drive. I ended up erasing the OS too apparently and so I'm now trying to reinstall the most updated OSX. However, I seem unable to connect to WiFi -- the recovery thing can find the WiFi networks, but when I try to join it always says that it is unable and recommends that I move closer to the router. It didn't recognise my ethernet cable either (as in when I connected it it didn't show that it joined a network). Maybe this is because I'm on my college's WiFi network? Is there anything I can do or try?

Thank you for your time!

Posted on Nov 9, 2023 9:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2023 9:42 PM

mqzh Said:

"Cannot Connect to WiFi in Recovery Mode: [...]I recently bought a secondhand Macbook Pro M2 and I erased the hard drive. I ended up erasing the OS too apparently and so I'm now trying to reinstall the most updated OSX. However, I seem unable to connect to WiFi [...] Maybe this is because I'm on my college's WiFi network? Is there anything I can do or try?"

-------

Installing Over Public WiFi:

Too Much Network Data:

Using a Public LAN, You are likely taking up too much data within the network. So, use a LAN that is private. You just won't be able to perform this on a Public LAN.

Speak with the Web Master:

Being you are using a college's network, you need to speak with the Web Master, requesting assistance with your network connections.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 9, 2023 9:42 PM in response to mqzh

mqzh Said:

"Cannot Connect to WiFi in Recovery Mode: [...]I recently bought a secondhand Macbook Pro M2 and I erased the hard drive. I ended up erasing the OS too apparently and so I'm now trying to reinstall the most updated OSX. However, I seem unable to connect to WiFi [...] Maybe this is because I'm on my college's WiFi network? Is there anything I can do or try?"

-------

Installing Over Public WiFi:

Too Much Network Data:

Using a Public LAN, You are likely taking up too much data within the network. So, use a LAN that is private. You just won't be able to perform this on a Public LAN.

Speak with the Web Master:

Being you are using a college's network, you need to speak with the Web Master, requesting assistance with your network connections.

Nov 9, 2023 10:41 PM in response to mqzh

mqzh Said:

"Cannot Connect to WiFi in Recovery Mode: Thank you for your help! I somehow found a solution: I looked up my computer's MAC address then registered it in the college's network as a secondary device, then joined the network that way. Ventura is installing right now! Thank you for your help anyways!"

-------

You are welcome.

Excellent job troubleshooting!

Cannot Connect to WiFi in Recovery Mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.