Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blue Screen Freeze on Start Up for Mac Pro

My Mac Pro will not start up. I have done everything I have read to do online and it still stops before finishing startup. Even with a start up disc!

Any help?

PS: I have lots of other photos showing things I have tried if anyone is interested.

iMac 21.5" 4K, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 29, 2019 3:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2019 6:42 PM

- Once booted in Recovery Mode, open Terminal, and run the following command: csrutil disable

- Reboot the system.

- Once the system reboots, it should now successfully boot into your install of OS X. Now, you'll need to download the program found here.

- Run the program, follow the prompts, and enter your password when prompted.

- Once the tool finishes running, your system should now run without the dedicated graphics, and should work completely normally.

the program's name is:

MacBook Pro dGPU disabler.app

... probably still in the downloads folder. Re-running it is not required, just a matter of interest.

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 13, 2019 6:42 PM in response to Short Stick

- Once booted in Recovery Mode, open Terminal, and run the following command: csrutil disable

- Reboot the system.

- Once the system reboots, it should now successfully boot into your install of OS X. Now, you'll need to download the program found here.

- Run the program, follow the prompts, and enter your password when prompted.

- Once the tool finishes running, your system should now run without the dedicated graphics, and should work completely normally.

the program's name is:

MacBook Pro dGPU disabler.app

... probably still in the downloads folder. Re-running it is not required, just a matter of interest.

Jun 13, 2019 9:16 AM in response to Short Stick

It is not signed by a Registered Developer. You need to approve it individually, using one of the two procedures described in this article. The first procedure is laid out in the numbered steps to take. The second (sort of a shortcut) is summarized in the Note at the end:

https://support.apple.com/kb/ph25088?locale=en_US

You have 30 minutes or less (after attempting to open) to approve such an App before the option disappears.

Normally, we would recommend you stay far away from apps not from Registered Developers. But these are desperate times for you, and you have the assurance of Readers here that this software is benign.

Because of their other work in allowing MacOS to run on nominally-unsupported Macs, I speculate that developer may have trouble getting a Developer Certificate. Apple does not want to encourage unauthorized work-arounds, because they might ensnare novice users who then mess up their systems.

May 30, 2019 2:19 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Hi Grant

The blue screen is what appears after an option hold restart and selecting/launching the instal macOS High Sierra as you can see in the photo.

If I use the same option hold and select to launch the the HD itself next comes the apple logo is gray and has a strange progress bar with a couple places it's not defined well or has some overlapping lines. After partial progress the screen switches to an all white screen then turns a little gray before repeating self restarting till it simply freezes on the grayish color screen. Btw... the same things happen to both either one when wifi is on.

I hope this is helpful...

Jun 13, 2019 8:06 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Hi Grant

I used your latest suggestion about the process to Disable MacBook Pro Dedicated GPU and when I got to the point of having Terminal opened and keying in csrutil disable. It worked!

Photo….?

I then did a reboot. It took some time to load up and seems to have installed some sort of update to the OS.

After rebooting I tried to run the program per the instructions… I had it loaded on a flash drive and when I tired to open it I wasn’t allowed and I got a message that it’s not an Apple program. Is it crucial to run it and or is there a way to get around that message and allow the program to run?

Much appreciate your help!

Steve

May 31, 2019 12:18 PM in response to Short Stick

Short Stick wrote:

The blue screen is what appears after an option hold restart and selecting/launching the instal macOS High Sierra as you can see in the photo.

In that case, the DVD you have created is damaged or defective. Users report MUCH better results with USB-stick Installers, and they are Hugely faster at installing. Dual-Layer DVDs are really slow at Installing MacOS, and since they are not really random-access, this is slowness is compounded.

May 31, 2019 12:22 PM in response to Short Stick

Short Sick wrote:

If I use the same option hold and select to launch the the HD itself next comes the apple logo is gray and has a strange progress bar with a couple places it's not defined well or has some overlapping lines. After partial progress the screen switches to an all white screen then turns a little gray before repeating self restarting till it simply freezes on the grayish color screen.

The initial "chime" sound is generated in software when your Mac passes the Power-On Self Test. If it occurs and/or startup continues, your Mac is working.

The solid Apple is not in the Mac's ROM at Cold start. The Apple logo can only appear when it is fetched in the first "blob" of software loaded from a 'magic' place on the boot drive, or re-run after a Restart. Then a whole lot of stuff is initialized, and the progress Bar moves part way across. After a cold start, seeing the solid Apple appear says your drive is not completely dead.

The next step requires a lot of files by name, so the File System is initialized, and the Boot Drive is Mounted. If the drive directory is damaged, the drive can not be Mounted, so your Mac begins one pass of Disk Utility Repair. This will take an additional about five minutes. During this process, the progress bar may be extended, and will grow by an additional amount not seen on a routine startup.

at the end of that process (which should not take more than about five minutes), it will attempt to Mount the drive again:

-- if the drive Mounts, boot-up continues.

-- if the drive cannot be Mounted, your Mac can do nothing more, so it powers off.

-- if the process stalls, this may indicate you have Bad Blocks on your Boot drive. The re-reading of Bad blocks can take a very long time (on the order of a quarter minute for each Bad Block).

Jun 5, 2019 3:35 PM in response to Short Stick

then goes to the blue screen

The blue screen is not useful in determining ANYTHING.

Blue screen is not a standard MacOS screen. I wrote in detail about what screens you see when starting up and what it means. The sequence of events is crucial to understanding where it went wrong.

Do you get the solid Apple?

do you get the "regular" progress bar?

does the progress bar get extended?

does the Mac shut off?

what model MacBook Pro is this, by year, early mid late, and processor speed and screen size?

Jun 5, 2019 4:37 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Hi Grant

I'm sorry for not providing enough information beforehand. I will try to summarize now.

Just to mention, it would be helpful if you first look at the photos earlier in the blog stream as they provide some explanation.

This is a 2011 (late) Mac Pro 15inch. It will not startup in safe mode or macOS recovery mode. I've reset PRAM, NVRAM and SMC several times. I've used Single User Mode and run FSCK -UY. Iv'e also run an Apple Hardware Test/ Apple Diagnostic and been given a message of no trouble found with the Hard Drive (Hardware Test?) and no trouble found with the Logic Board.

I've recently tried 2 different ways of trying starting up, both with StartUp Manager. (Holding "Option key" on startup)

A. Using the Mac HD (Kathy's MacPro 2011). I use option hold and select to launch the the HD itself next comes the apple logo is gray and has a strange progress bar with a couple places it's not defined well or has some overlapping lines. After partial progress the screen switches to an all white screen then turns a little gray before repeating self restarting several times until it simply freezes on the grayish/white color screen.

the second way of using the startup manager has a different final result.

B. Using the StartUp DVD or Flash Drive (you can see the DVD a photo )

I use the same option hold and select to launch the the DVD/Flash Drive itself; next comes the apple logo is gray and has a strange progress bar with a couple places it's not defined well or has some overlapping lines. After partial progress the screen switches to an all blue and is frozen like that. (the fan is running but nothing else happens until I force it off)

Additional information: from your questions...

Do you get the solid Apple? Yes

do you get the "regular" progress bar? Yes but a bit jagged as shown in the photo

does the progress bar get extended? tough one, I'm not sure? (probably)

does the Mac shut off? by itself? no only when I force it (correct that, it just turned itself off after just a few minutes of blue screen) perhaps it's intermittent ?

I'm not sure but I think you made an interesting point when you said

if the process stalls, this may indicate you have Bad Blocks on your Boot drive. The re-reading of Bad blocks can take a very long time (on the order of a quarter minute for each Bad Block).

If this is true is there anyway of knowing so and anyway of repairing or getting past it to get the machine started in to disk utility and allow me to erase it and start over??

Thank again for your help and patience!

Jun 5, 2019 6:20 PM in response to Short Stick

The MacBook Pro 15-in 2011 has Dual Graphics. In some units, the Discrete graphics processor can fail, but the processor does not notice. This can give it the appearance of not booting, and it may produce weird visual effects (? maybe that could include your unusual deep blue screen or unusual wonky progress bar?).

Do you use an external display? Do you edit videos?

If you do neither, there is a collection of work-arounds that disable the Discrete graphics processor, leaving the slightly less capable Integrated graphics processor handling the entire workload. This is not even noticeable for ordinary uses. These work-arounds are all software, and if they do not solve the problem are all reversible.

If you would like to pursue some of those, just post back and I can look up my list of work-arounds and post it.

Jun 5, 2019 6:58 PM in response to Short Stick

Please read the entire posting before you implement anything. This is a disjointed collection of work-arounds, not one huge procedure. The last one on the list is the easiest to implement.

Install gfxCardStatus (https://gfx.io) and set it to "i" (integrated graphics only). It will allow your MBP to run on integrated graphics only, bypassing the discrete GPU which has the issues. This may allow your MBP to run normally, although it will have reduced graphics performance when permforming demanding graphics tasks. The alternative is replacing the logic board, which is not cost effective on a machine that old, unless gfx does not resolve the issue and you really want to keep this MBP.

There is an acknowledged bug in the current version of Cody Kreiger's Open-Source gfxcardstatus, and the developer has confessed he does not have time to fix it right now.

There is a fork off the main build by steveschow available that seems to fix that problem for current versions of MacOS such as ElCapitan and Sierra. He provides a finished .app for direct download -- you do not have to compile anything.

https://github.com/steveschow/gfxCardStatus/releases

Also note that if your Mac does not run long enough to allow gfxcardstatus to be added, this is not really practical.

In addition, Steve Schow writes that he has abandoned further development -- because there are better solutions available [for both the 2010 model and 2011 models]. 

2010 model:

I have discontinued use of gfxCardStatus to solve the MBP kernel panic problem as the issue is better solved on 2010 models with the nVidia GPU by the following hack:

https://github.com/julian-poidevin/MBPMid2010_GPUFix.

2011 model:

the use of ArchLinux bootable CD to gain access to and re-write the EFI on the drive, and permanently disable the discrete graphics chip. This page and scroll down past the list to the blog:

http://github.com/steveschow/gfxCardStatus

There are two similar procedure listed. I used the second from MacRumors as it seemed easier. I have made the Arch Linux bootable CD on another Mac, and tried this approach.  I now have a perfectly-functioning MacBook Pro late 2011 15-in model with Discrete Graphics disabled. Runs just fine. But NO external display support any more.

--------

There is a completely different work-around developed more recently. It requires only single-User mode to get started, then type a complicated string into NVRAM, then disable System Integrity Protection and run an additional little program (direct-download link provided there) to make the change semi-permanent.

http://dosdude1.com/gpudisable/

Jun 10, 2019 12:29 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

6/10/19 my Answer to Grant: 

Hi Grant,

I’m pleased to say your work around instructions were very helpful. After several weeks of trying lots of different things the Mac Pro finally is back up and running. At least for now. Still lots to do before I would be completely comfortable with it.

As it goes I used your last suggestion titled Disable MacBook Pro Dedicated GPU and when I got to the point of having Terminal opened and keying in csrutil disable I got a message that said something like command not found. I was not able to complete the last few steps on the instructions , but since I had the machine running I decided to do a couple things. First I ran disk utility repair and all was good! Then I updated the OS to High Sierra and after a few hours and the normal restarts, iCloud log-in, etc it seemed to be all running well. That is until I did a restart and found myself back to square one, so to speak. I believe I know what you might say is,  I need to do which is go thru the Disable GPU instructions again but I thought it worth asking beforehand what you think might be the reason the csrutil disable command would not work.

Thanks again for all your help. Looking forward to your reply! 

Jun 10, 2019 9:09 PM in response to Short Stick

- Immediately after running the reboot command, hold down Command + R (if you're running OS X 10.11 or later) to boot into Recovery Mode. If you don't have a Recovery Partition, you can boot from a Mac OS installer USB drive.

- Once booted in Recovery Mode, open Terminal, and run the following command: 

csrutil disable

NB>> This command is ONLY available in Recovery mode or an Installer disk or USB-stick

Jun 13, 2019 10:04 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

6/13/19 to Grant

I used your second suggestion and was successful in getting the message that it was finished and complete! Upon restarting, I can’t believe it, but I once again had the same jagged scrolling bar on the screen ? Although the machine did complete a start up! Interestingly the screen photo and the icons all have lines through them. Not sure what that is unless it’s because of the graphics card disabling? I opened safari and was able to open google but as I move the mouse near the top of the screen I left a trial of green lines. If I move the mouse too much it fills the top with green lines. Just when I though we had complete success?

I then did a restart to see what might happen. This time a good solid scroll line!! And it opened to clear graphics on everything including Google and I don’t have any trailing lines.

If your interested I’ll send photos of the issues of green lines and trailing. 

Otherwise, hopefully this machine is good to keep on trucking for years to come!

Thanks again for your help!

Steve

Jun 13, 2019 10:22 AM in response to Short Stick

I would attribute your trouble to a one-off problem, possibly related to loading previously-cached kernel extensions. If it happens again, I suggest you make a pass through Safe Mode. As a side effect, Safe Mode forces a re-build of the cached Kernel extensions, which would ensure the extensions for the Discrete graphics process or are not included.

-------

After some time, I tried to re-run the Utility on the computer where is is installed, just to be sure all was staying OK.

I was surprised to find that the Utility reported It could not do anything for me because I "did not have a Discrete GPU".

From this I read that 'the work-around was so complete in removing all traces of the Discrete GPU, it could no longer be detected through MacOS'. So the Utility had nothing to act upon. All was well.

Jun 13, 2019 3:54 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Hi Grant,

Thanks for the advice. I will be sure to run safe mode if I have a next time. Funny thing is as much as I have learned through this process I regret to admit I’m not sure what you mean re-run the utility and perhaps I’m just a bit confused about your last two statements. 

Steve

Btw… I’m running updates to high Sierra now and all is well for sure!

Blue Screen Freeze on Start Up for Mac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.