Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac starts then shuts down

My Mac Pro desktop will start up and go to my home screen. Then immediately shut down and restart. It is stuck in a loop and just keeps doing this process over and over and over again. Any suggestions on what the problem may be?

Mac Pro, OS X 10.11

Posted on Sep 24, 2020 12:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2020 1:06 PM

Sounds like a power problem.

First thing I would do, is go to Apple > System Preferences > Energy Saver and uncheck "Startup atomically after a power failure" to see if the problem stops.

If it stops, then you most likely have an external problem with the cord, wall outlet, surge protector, etc.

If it does not stop, then you most likely have an internal problem with the power supply or internal connection.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2020 1:06 PM in response to johnchighizola

Sounds like a power problem.

First thing I would do, is go to Apple > System Preferences > Energy Saver and uncheck "Startup atomically after a power failure" to see if the problem stops.

If it stops, then you most likely have an external problem with the cord, wall outlet, surge protector, etc.

If it does not stop, then you most likely have an internal problem with the power supply or internal connection.

Sep 26, 2020 10:58 PM in response to johnchighizola

I am by no way a professional computer expert. I am just an Apple user. It sounds like you have a boot loop going on here. When this happens on a PC usually can mean a couple of things. I had this happen to me once on a Thinkpad due to a broken USB jack where a metal prong was touching a peace of the internal metal case of the computer and it went into a boot loop. Once I moved the prong the Thinkpad started up. As stated by the other user on here. See if you can change chargers if that does trick if not my guess you will want to make a call to Apple support cause it will be an internal issue. Now like I have said I am not an Apple pro or computer pro I am just another Apple user so good luck

Mac starts then shuts down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.