Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac desktop not restarting even with Command + R

Once my Mac turns on and begins to load it gets stuck half way. I tried pressing Command R and it restarted once but the next day the same problem happened and now it doesn't want to restart at all when I press those keys. What else could I do to get the computer to work?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Aug 2, 2022 9:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2022 9:20 PM

CG_BG Said:

"Mac desktop not restarting even with Command + R: Once my Mac turns on and begins to load it gets stuck half way. I tried pressing Command R and it restarted once but the next day the same problem happened and now it doesn't want to restart at all when I press those keys. What else could I do to get the computer to work?"

-------

Troubleshooting a Mac Stuck in a Boot Loop:

Is this consistent? If so, it seems you are in a boot loop. So, refer to the following...

I. Boot in Safe Mode:

In Safe ModeLogin Items do not run at login, certain preferences are set aside, and damaged system files are then reset. So, once booted in to Safe Mode, wait 30 seconds, and then boot up normally, attempting another update install. For instructions, go here: How to Use Safe Mode on your Mac - Apple Support

II. Reset your SMC and your NVRAM:

(Applies to Intel-Basel Macs Only) Sometimes changes (i.e. Installations) are made to the system and then settings (i.e. Networking) become corrupted, technically. So, reset both on your Mac. So, reset the SMC and reset the NVRAM or PRAM. It might take three tries. to fix this. So, be certain you have the time to do so.

Start With This:

III. Re-Mount the Drive:

Boot into Recovery Mode (Intel or Silicon) . You need to click the “Mount’ button to proceed. So, select the drives, and then click "Mount" Try rebooting once more. If of no success, then click unmount button, and then the mount button. Try rebooting once more. It looks dulled-out. So, if you cannot click it, then click the First Aid button to fix this volume.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2022 9:20 PM in response to CG_BG

CG_BG Said:

"Mac desktop not restarting even with Command + R: Once my Mac turns on and begins to load it gets stuck half way. I tried pressing Command R and it restarted once but the next day the same problem happened and now it doesn't want to restart at all when I press those keys. What else could I do to get the computer to work?"

-------

Troubleshooting a Mac Stuck in a Boot Loop:

Is this consistent? If so, it seems you are in a boot loop. So, refer to the following...

I. Boot in Safe Mode:

In Safe ModeLogin Items do not run at login, certain preferences are set aside, and damaged system files are then reset. So, once booted in to Safe Mode, wait 30 seconds, and then boot up normally, attempting another update install. For instructions, go here: How to Use Safe Mode on your Mac - Apple Support

II. Reset your SMC and your NVRAM:

(Applies to Intel-Basel Macs Only) Sometimes changes (i.e. Installations) are made to the system and then settings (i.e. Networking) become corrupted, technically. So, reset both on your Mac. So, reset the SMC and reset the NVRAM or PRAM. It might take three tries. to fix this. So, be certain you have the time to do so.

Start With This:

III. Re-Mount the Drive:

Boot into Recovery Mode (Intel or Silicon) . You need to click the “Mount’ button to proceed. So, select the drives, and then click "Mount" Try rebooting once more. If of no success, then click unmount button, and then the mount button. Try rebooting once more. It looks dulled-out. So, if you cannot click it, then click the First Aid button to fix this volume.

Mac desktop not restarting even with Command + R

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.