Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Desktop: updated to latest OS and now in black screen with restart computer and then loading screen

I just updated my Mac Desktop to the latest OS and it shut down with a black screen that says the computer needs to restart press any key. I press a key and then it shows a loading bar that freezes and then it loops into the black screen that says it needs to restart press any key. It does it over and over. I tried to do the restart holding command R and it does the same thing. I tried holding down the power button until the apple logo appears and disappears but I cannot complete it because it goes into a loading screen that freezes. SO FRUSTRATED!

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Nov 20, 2022 6:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2022 8:23 PM

Try a Safe Boot...

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes or more.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

If still need help...

1.. Shut the machine down.

2.. UNPLUG the power lead to the computer and any peripheral devices.

3.. leave it for 10 minutes.

4.. Hold power Button in for 10 seconds

5.. Connect everything back up and restart. 

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2022 8:23 PM in response to NixRocks

Try a Safe Boot...

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes or more.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

If still need help...

1.. Shut the machine down.

2.. UNPLUG the power lead to the computer and any peripheral devices.

3.. leave it for 10 minutes.

4.. Hold power Button in for 10 seconds

5.. Connect everything back up and restart. 

Mac Desktop: updated to latest OS and now in black screen with restart computer and then loading screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.