Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

NW-700 Microphone with iMac and GarageBand

I am using an iMac Retina 5K Late 2015 with the 3.2G i5, 24 GB DDR3, AMD Radeon RD M390, running Mojave 10.14.5, and Garage Band 10.3.2.

I am brand new to Garage Band and have a lot to learn. I am using an NW-700 Condenser microphone with phantom supply to the USB port on the rear of the Mac.

When I record audio with the internal microphone the recorded audio seems to be in-time with the Jam track I am using. When I try to record with the NW-700 there seems to be a bit of a delay with the recorded audio from the phantom supply interface/microphone combination. The audio is much improved over the internal microphone and since I am on a budget I would like to avoid going with a full recording studio setup if possible.

I can adjust the start of the recorded audio, by cutting the leading edge of the recording, sliding the audio to the left so it matches the start of the jam track but that seems to be a lot of trouble. I have the preferences for GB set to:

Output device - built in device

Input device - USB PnP sound device

My recording settings are set to Automatic Level control and the input does show the USP device,

Plug-ins are turned off, as is the compressor and eq.

Is this a problem with the inexpensive phantom interface?

Should I go with something like the Yamaha MG10XU or the Behringer Xenyx 1204USB mixers, or the Behringer UMC22HD audio interface?

I play the harmonica and take lessons that require me to record my input with a jam track. Any suggestions? I am a former electronic tech for the USMC so technical stuff doesn't scare me away, just not familiar with this type of setup.

Thanks in advance

Caitlin

iMac 27", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 29, 2019 7:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2019 7:15 AM

It looks like the NW-700 is an xlr microphone. How are you getting it to USB?

The problem is called "latency".

Are you using any effects on the mic track? You might try recording it dry and add the effects later.

Similar questions

2 replies

May 30, 2019 9:01 AM in response to Irishrose.cm

Greetings Caitlin,

My guess is that the phantom power supply is the issue. You said that the internal mic doesn't give you the latency problem - and that's the way it's supposed to be. When you monitor the input (your harmonica playing) while playing the pre-recorded track through headphones there should be negligible audible latency. They should sound simultaneous. I record multiple tracks while listening to the already recorded tracks and the drummer track and have no latency. I'm using the Behringer UMC404HD and like it very much. Hope this helps. Rock on.

NW-700 Microphone with iMac and GarageBand

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.