Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration assistant

I have a Mac mini and I would like to set it up as a clean install but I need the photos from my old imac. I have time machine backups on on external HD so I thought it would be easy enough but all I can find is how to do it by migration assistant which wants to create a new user on the new mac and I tried just bringing the photos via migration assistant but they are not accessible even within the new user MA created.

Is there a straightforward way of just moving my old photos without using migration assistant?thanks in advance.

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 30, 2019 11:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2019 11:38 AM

"migration assistant which wants to create a new user on the new mac "

That's because you're using the same user name on your new Mac. Migration Assistant will transfer your old user name to a new Mac. If you created a user with same name as on your old Mac, you will be prompted to create a new user name.

When you first turned on your new Mac, you should have used Setup Assistant to transfer all of your user settings to the new Mac. If you skip that, then created a user name identical to the one used on your old Mac and then used Migration Assistant, you'd have arrived at your current situation.

There are a number of ways to fix this:

1. Start over with your new Mac by erasing the drive reinstalling the OS and then use Setup Assistant to transfer your old user account to the new Mac.
  2. Create a new admin user with a temporary name on your new Mac, switch to that temp user account and sign-out of the previous one, then delete that user account that is the same name as used on your old Mac. Then use migration assistant to bring over your old account from the old Mac.
  3. Perhaps the easiest of all, just copy your photo library from the Users/Pictures folder of your old Mac to the same location on your new Mac. Then configure your Photos application to use that library. By the way, you didn't indicate which photos app that you were using, i.e., Photos, iPhoto, Aperture, etc.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2019 11:38 AM in response to Bill Newton

"migration assistant which wants to create a new user on the new mac "

That's because you're using the same user name on your new Mac. Migration Assistant will transfer your old user name to a new Mac. If you created a user with same name as on your old Mac, you will be prompted to create a new user name.

When you first turned on your new Mac, you should have used Setup Assistant to transfer all of your user settings to the new Mac. If you skip that, then created a user name identical to the one used on your old Mac and then used Migration Assistant, you'd have arrived at your current situation.

There are a number of ways to fix this:

1. Start over with your new Mac by erasing the drive reinstalling the OS and then use Setup Assistant to transfer your old user account to the new Mac.
  2. Create a new admin user with a temporary name on your new Mac, switch to that temp user account and sign-out of the previous one, then delete that user account that is the same name as used on your old Mac. Then use migration assistant to bring over your old account from the old Mac.
  3. Perhaps the easiest of all, just copy your photo library from the Users/Pictures folder of your old Mac to the same location on your new Mac. Then configure your Photos application to use that library. By the way, you didn't indicate which photos app that you were using, i.e., Photos, iPhoto, Aperture, etc.

Migration assistant

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.