Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reinstalling MacOS High Sierra

I’ve just purchased a second hand iMac (the cheapest 2018 one) and I’m trying to restore it.

All was well and I deleted the old data etc but when I Went to reinstall Sierra I got an error message. I was using mobile hotspot but I’ve realised that’s probably not enough and I need wifi.

However when I turn it on again there is a folder icon with a question mark that flashes on the screen. I try to hold down Command + R to go back to the recovery menu but nothing happens.

Can someone please tell me what I need to do to reinstall macOS High Sierra?

Thanks

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on May 30, 2019 5:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2019 5:41 PM

Maybe a 2017 iMac ?

First off, are you using a wired Keyboard?

2nd, could they have erased the Restore Partition also?

3rd, are you holding CMD+r keys right after powering on?

1. Start up from macOS Recovery

To start up from macOS Recovery, turn on your Mac and immediately press and hold one of the following combinations on your keyboard. Command-R is generally recommended, especially if you never installed macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later.

Command (⌘)-R Install the latest macOS that was installed on your Mac.

Option-⌘-R Upgrade to the latest macOS compatible with your Mac.

Shift-Option-⌘-R Install the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available.

Release the keys when you see the Apple logo, a spinning globe, or a prompt for a firmware password. When you see the Utilities window, you've started up from macOS Recovery.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2019 5:41 PM in response to maia197

Maybe a 2017 iMac ?

First off, are you using a wired Keyboard?

2nd, could they have erased the Restore Partition also?

3rd, are you holding CMD+r keys right after powering on?

1. Start up from macOS Recovery

To start up from macOS Recovery, turn on your Mac and immediately press and hold one of the following combinations on your keyboard. Command-R is generally recommended, especially if you never installed macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later.

Command (⌘)-R Install the latest macOS that was installed on your Mac.

Option-⌘-R Upgrade to the latest macOS compatible with your Mac.

Shift-Option-⌘-R Install the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available.

Release the keys when you see the Apple logo, a spinning globe, or a prompt for a firmware password. When you see the Utilities window, you've started up from macOS Recovery.

May 31, 2019 12:41 AM in response to BDAqua

Hi there, so I don’t know what the ‘restore partition’ is I’m sorry.

I have it in wifi now and have successfully connected to the network. Now I don’t know what I’m supposed to do as I’ve pressed those keys directly after power up and the screen that pops up is the wifi network screen.

Prior to connecting to the network it has a globe that spun around with a little drop down menu to choose network. Now that I have selected the network and types in the password the globe has stopped spinning but nothing else happens.

I turned it back off and on again and held down command + R. The wifi screen popped up again and I have to choose the network again, it hasn’t automatically stored my network’s Password or details

Reinstalling MacOS High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.