Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reinstalling MacOS Sierra

I have a MacBook Pro 2017 and whenever I try to install MacOS Sierra (I have deleted my drive) I get an error saying “an error occurred while preparing the installation. Try running this application again. In addition to that, when I try to run first aid in utility my drive is split and there are files from each time I’ve tried to download Sierra.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Apr 5, 2021 6:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2021 1:58 PM

Yes, if planning to sell - wipe the drive of all partitions and then install Sierra. This can be done via a Bootable Installer of Sierra.

Once hat is done - disconnect all external drives and shutdown. Attach to charger and connect only the USB Installer. Restart and Immediately hold the Option key. This will present the Boot Manager and choose the USB Drive ( Installer ). That will present option, choose Disk Utilities >> View >> View All attached devices. Now, choose one of the partitions at bottom and look for a small - ( Minus Sign ) >> click it. Do the same for each Partition until there is Only One Partition showing. Next step is choose the Upper Most Drive usually called Apple SSD and choose it. Click it and choose Erase >> give a name >> format as HFS Journaled and below that Scheme: GUID Partition Map >> Erase.

Back out of Disk Utilities and presented with options >> choose Install macOS. This will start Installing Sierra and may automatically restart several time until it finishes and Setup Assist will be presented.

Important: If giving / selling Stop at that point and go no further. Just usage the Power Button to shutdown the computer. The next person who turn on the computer will the experience like as Brand New Computer and Setup Assit will automatically be presented.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2021 1:58 PM in response to Timhelp2000

Yes, if planning to sell - wipe the drive of all partitions and then install Sierra. This can be done via a Bootable Installer of Sierra.

Once hat is done - disconnect all external drives and shutdown. Attach to charger and connect only the USB Installer. Restart and Immediately hold the Option key. This will present the Boot Manager and choose the USB Drive ( Installer ). That will present option, choose Disk Utilities >> View >> View All attached devices. Now, choose one of the partitions at bottom and look for a small - ( Minus Sign ) >> click it. Do the same for each Partition until there is Only One Partition showing. Next step is choose the Upper Most Drive usually called Apple SSD and choose it. Click it and choose Erase >> give a name >> format as HFS Journaled and below that Scheme: GUID Partition Map >> Erase.

Back out of Disk Utilities and presented with options >> choose Install macOS. This will start Installing Sierra and may automatically restart several time until it finishes and Setup Assist will be presented.

Important: If giving / selling Stop at that point and go no further. Just usage the Power Button to shutdown the computer. The next person who turn on the computer will the experience like as Brand New Computer and Setup Assit will automatically be presented.

Apr 6, 2021 10:16 AM in response to Timhelp2000

You Problem from closer Look at your Picture is there are several Partition some are HFS Format and Other are APFS format. Sierra will not install on an APFS Partition. If you really want to do a Wipe and Clean Install - decide and will provide the Steps. Understand - what I am suggesting will Wipe ALL Partitions and ALL Data.

Reinstalling MacOS Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.