Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Putting music from MacBook to XR

When dragging the file I would like to put on my XR, the box doesn’t light up enabling me to add music. Why is this?

iPhone XR, iOS 12

Posted on May 30, 2019 9:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2019 3:31 AM

To sync music from a computer to an iPhone, you have to add the music you want to iTunes first and then sync.

Sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod using iTunes on your computer - Apple Support

2 replies

May 31, 2019 4:41 AM in response to Hailey_randall

Have a read through this (old) article, I believe the process still works as long as you have “Manually manage Music and Videos” ticked under the “Summary” tab for the device and the file is iPhone compatible. I can’t say whether having an Apple Music subscription causes any conflict but it’s easy enough to try out and see what happens.

http://osxdaily.com/2013/08/26/copy-music-directly-to-iphone-ipod-without-adding-to-the-computer-itunes-library/

Although you still employ iTunes for the process, it should allow music files to be dragged from Finder to the iDevice under the iTunes Sidebar without the necessity to import (it did when I last used it but that was quite some time ago).

Hope this helps.

Putting music from MacBook to XR

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.