Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Playing music from a usb stick

How do you play music downloaded onto a usb stick on a 2018 MacBook air? I have the adapter, I just don't know how to get the laptop to play the music.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 10, 2020 6:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2020 7:15 AM

Thank you so much for a speedy reply. I have tried that but the files seem to be descriptions of each track rather than anything I can recognise as playable. I thought I'd downloaded the songs correctly from my old pro, but obviously not! I've just tried saving a pages file to the stick on the air and that worked fine so I must have done something wrong on iTunes on the pro, but I don't know what. So frustrating. I feel I'm almost there, but just not quite.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 10, 2020 7:15 AM in response to PRP_53

Thank you so much for a speedy reply. I have tried that but the files seem to be descriptions of each track rather than anything I can recognise as playable. I thought I'd downloaded the songs correctly from my old pro, but obviously not! I've just tried saving a pages file to the stick on the air and that worked fine so I must have done something wrong on iTunes on the pro, but I don't know what. So frustrating. I feel I'm almost there, but just not quite.

Sep 10, 2020 7:22 AM in response to dishdrainer

Good you recognize the files formats are not Music files. If the old pro is available, we are sure it can be put correct. Just Drag and Drop the Music file to USB. Note, the old pro and new MBA are both using the same Apple ID I hope. Purchased media from Apple iTunes Store are DRM ( digital rights managed ) and are locked to your ID

Playing music from a usb stick

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.