Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cant reset my macbook pro to factory settings because macintosh hd will not fully erase

I've tried to reset my macbook pro 2 times already to factory settings with OS High Sierra but after it's almost downloaded it pops up that it can't. I also noticed that after I erase Macintosh HD it still shows that it was not fully erased, and i've tried to erase it 3 times but it still leaves like 2.45 gb left of unused data on it.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on May 31, 2019 6:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2019 7:49 AM

You need to boot into Internet Recovery using one of the two key combinations described in this link (see #1).

After you get to the OS Utilities Menu, open Disk Utility, select the drive (not the Macintosh HD), and erase the drive which should reformat it with a single partition named Untitled which you can rename later.

Command+R is best if you have never installed Sierra 10.12.4 or later.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 31, 2019 7:49 AM in response to Taylor_31

You need to boot into Internet Recovery using one of the two key combinations described in this link (see #1).

After you get to the OS Utilities Menu, open Disk Utility, select the drive (not the Macintosh HD), and erase the drive which should reformat it with a single partition named Untitled which you can rename later.

Command+R is best if you have never installed Sierra 10.12.4 or later.

I cant reset my macbook pro to factory settings because macintosh hd will not fully erase

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.