Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Saving Cloud Space?

If I back up my MacBook Pro with an external back up storage device, it my ICloud also backing up my McBook Pro, thus backed up in two spots? I have a lot of photos and want to save I Cloud data space.

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 2, 2019 9:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2019 12:52 PM

The external hard drive is a backup for your photos, so if you want to turn iCloud Photos syncing off, you can do that and you will still have a backup. You can then go to iCloud.com/Photos using a computer browser and delete the photos in iCloud. If you need the space now, delete the photos from the Recently Deleted album.

iCloud is a syncing system, not a true backup.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2019 12:52 PM in response to tnrogers

The external hard drive is a backup for your photos, so if you want to turn iCloud Photos syncing off, you can do that and you will still have a backup. You can then go to iCloud.com/Photos using a computer browser and delete the photos in iCloud. If you need the space now, delete the photos from the Recently Deleted album.

iCloud is a syncing system, not a true backup.

Saving Cloud Space?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.