Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issue Reinstalling Mac OS X

I am in the process of selling my Macbook Pro so in preparation I followed the instructions on Apples website to erase Macintosh HD. Continuing to follow their instruction I was attempting to reinstall Mac OS X but I am then prompted with a error stating, "An error occurred while preparing the installation. Try running this application again." I've attempted to run the application numerous time after in both recovery modes. At this point I suspect that I may have removed some necessary software to reinstall Mac OS X but I am not sure what actual issue is yet. Any ideas?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jun 3, 2019 8:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2019 2:46 PM

Yes, you can do that but understand that no Mac can install an OS that pre-dates the one it shipped with. You don't say what OS it originally came with, so check that first.

Also there's no reason to upgrade it before sale. In fact if you just leave the way it is after install and quit out of the setup, it will be ready for the new owner. That is the way Apple recommends selling and the way it's easiest for new owner to set up as their own.

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2019 2:46 PM in response to microbiology_rules

Yes, you can do that but understand that no Mac can install an OS that pre-dates the one it shipped with. You don't say what OS it originally came with, so check that first.

Also there's no reason to upgrade it before sale. In fact if you just leave the way it is after install and quit out of the setup, it will be ready for the new owner. That is the way Apple recommends selling and the way it's easiest for new owner to set up as their own.

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

Issue Reinstalling Mac OS X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.