Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

16 GB or 32 GB for FCPX?

I'm going to buy the new Macbook Pro 2019 15 inch to upgrade my 2012 13 inch Macbook Pro!

But I still have to make 1 last decision... How much RAM do I need to edit videos up to 4K60fps with some effect and color correction?

This is probably the configuration that I will take but I want to make sure that I am buying the right Macbook:

-2,3‑GHz 8‑core Intel Core i9

-16 GB 2400‑MHz DDR4

-Radeon Pro Vega 20 4 GB HBM2

-512 GB SSD

Will this be enough to edit 4k60fps in FCPX without any frame drops while editing the video and without making proxys? I actually really don't want to spend another €480,00 because its out of my budget. But I dont want to regret my decision!

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Jun 4, 2019 2:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2019 3:51 AM

I believe that the most important items in order to achieve your stated goals are:

• a powerful GPU (check!)
  • a large and fast media drive; you did not mention anything on that front

A fast external SSD, and enough external HD for backups, should be on your list.

Sure, it would be nice to have 32GB, but 16GB will work nicely; surely, going to 32GB will not have anything to do with needing proxies or not. This will depend on the two items mentioned above.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 5, 2019 3:51 AM in response to Erwin_1999

I believe that the most important items in order to achieve your stated goals are:

• a powerful GPU (check!)
  • a large and fast media drive; you did not mention anything on that front

A fast external SSD, and enough external HD for backups, should be on your list.

Sure, it would be nice to have 32GB, but 16GB will work nicely; surely, going to 32GB will not have anything to do with needing proxies or not. This will depend on the two items mentioned above.

16 GB or 32 GB for FCPX?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.