Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What Spec Macbook of Pro for Final Cut? Chip or RAM more important with new Macs?

Hey All!

I edit videos daily for my Youtube Channel. I currently have a 2015 3.1ghz dual core i7 with 16mb RAM. It is struggling with editing, especially 4K.

Have been looking a the new MacBook Pros and wondering what spec I should go for and what to prioritise.. with the new unified memory and M1 Chips it seems the RAM figure is now less important?

Essentially I mainly film in HD, 4 cameras in one go which I combine in a multicam clip.. this can take a while for the current laptop to process. But also would like to have 5-10 min intros which would be in 4K. I use it solely for editing, word and browsing..

So, Do I need to go for an M1 Max chip or would an M1 Pro do (if so which one?) and would I be ok with 16mb or do I need to go with 32? Basically whats the cheapest spec I can get away with?

Thanks!!

Posted on Dec 7, 2022 2:27 AM

2 replies

Dec 7, 2022 3:54 AM in response to kaz-k

I have already spoken to two on the apple sales line and to be honest they dint seems to know what they were talking about. Mainly reading from scripts from what I could tell. Neither made me feel as if they knew which aspect of spec was most relevant for FCPX aside from just going as high in spec as I could afford.

What Spec Macbook of Pro for Final Cut? Chip or RAM more important with new Macs?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.