Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The shift, option and command key not working

Hi,

The shift, option and command key are all of a sudden not working, in the way that I can not select multiple files in my finder(I used to be able to select some holding the shift key or command)

Also, in multiple programs(photoshop and Vectorworks) now I can not draw a straight line with holding the shift, I can not duplicate objects with option key, and can not select objects with the help of the shift and command key.

I really don't understand why. I have been doing those things for a while and after a lunch break they just all went away.

I've check the settings the were brought up from other posts.

Again, these things I was able to use. Just it suddenly stop working.....

Please someone let me know how can I do to put it back. Thanks!

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 5, 2019 12:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2019 10:39 PM

Do the keys work as intended when using Text Edit?

See if you can perform an SMC reset and PRAM reset (hold the PRAM reset for a full minute).

Try using an external keyboard.

Try creating another user account to determine if a preference in your account is possibly corrupt.

Try booting into Safe Mode which will load minimal drivers and will disable startup & login items which might be interfering.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 5, 2019 10:39 PM in response to YTL2019

Do the keys work as intended when using Text Edit?

See if you can perform an SMC reset and PRAM reset (hold the PRAM reset for a full minute).

Try using an external keyboard.

Try creating another user account to determine if a preference in your account is possibly corrupt.

Try booting into Safe Mode which will load minimal drivers and will disable startup & login items which might be interfering.

The shift, option and command key not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.