Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Questions regarding "Apple Music" replacing “iTunes”

By now everyone has heard that soon the “iTunes” name will be replaced by three Apple Apps (Apple Music; Apple Podcast and Apple TV). It has been announced this will first take place with devices using

certain Apple operating systems. I’m sure this change will eventually be coming to users of computers running on Windows 10, such as my computer.

Here are my questions regarding this change:

1.  If I subscribe to Apple Music now, will I still have access to my iTunes music library?

2.  I have been using the iTunes app for many years. Over that time, my iTunes music library has grown to 1248 items purchased through the iTunes Apple Store as well as imported CDs and other sources. My library is sourced from a folder structure located on my computer hard drive in case the internet access goes down. I do not have any other devices, only this computer. What will happen to my library when the change occurs?

3. Will I still be able to make purchases through the Apple Store?

4.  Will I still be able to access the Album Info, Song Info (Comments, Artwork and Lyrics) and Playlists in my library? For that matter, is it even worth continuing to add song lyrics and playlists knowing

that this change is eventually coming?

5.  Will I have an option to keep my iTunes app as it is? I believe this answer will be "No."

I would like to know the answers ahead of time so that I have some idea as to what to

expect and so I may do a backup of my library before the change occurs.

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Jun 6, 2019 4:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2019 11:26 AM

The rumours of the death of iTunes have been somewhat exaggerated. iTunes is staying exactly the same except for those who install the next version of macOS 10.15 Catalina where the functions will be split between three new apps and Finder, the Mac equivalent to Windows Explorer. See About the upcoming changes with iTunes on Mac - Apple Support for details that have been made public so far.

tt2

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2019 11:26 AM in response to garyzfromclementon

The rumours of the death of iTunes have been somewhat exaggerated. iTunes is staying exactly the same except for those who install the next version of macOS 10.15 Catalina where the functions will be split between three new apps and Finder, the Mac equivalent to Windows Explorer. See About the upcoming changes with iTunes on Mac - Apple Support for details that have been made public so far.

tt2

Jun 6, 2019 6:37 PM in response to garyzfromclementon

You need not worry. The interface may change, but you should not have any problems with the integration of Apple family products. I have "Music" on my iPhone 8 and Apple TV, "iTunes" on my MacBk Pro and PC and they all have access to my collection of music and the Apple Music through my subscription. I believe the answer to your questions 1-4 is Yes.

You did not indicate if you also subscribe to Music Match which will upload your personal library to the cloud. If you leave Apple Music, you will not have your personal collection in the cloud library unless you have the Music Match.

Hopefully, you will also get contributions to this thread from others.

Questions regarding "Apple Music" replacing “iTunes”

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.