Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos Library Grayed Out

I have my mac Photos Library in the folder Users\Shared\Pictures. When I try to access the library via the Desktop & Screen Saver System Preference screen the Photos Library is grayed out. I also find I am frequently repairing the library before I can open it.

This is actually part of a bigger problem, namely trying to create a common library for the other users in my family so that we don't each have a separate Photo Library. The shared Photo Library is set as the system library in each of the other accounts. Accessing the Photo Library from different accounts has been very problematic. I have unsuccessfully searched the interwebz for solutions this problem.

How do other families create shared photo folders locally on their mac (not interested in paying for iCloud storage)?

iMac 27", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 6, 2019 7:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2019 1:02 AM

A Shared folder does not suffice to allow you to share a Photos Library. The shared folder is for sharing files, not libraries. Whenever a user writes to the photos library, the file ownership of internal files will change and you have to repair the library, before the previous user can access it again. Photos is strictly a single user application.

You can share the library between user accounts, if it is on an external drive (or in a separate partition or second internal drive), where you can enable the "Ignore Ownership on this volume" flag. Then you can use the library from a different user account. This flag will prevent the file ownership issues. Prepare the drive or partition like described here: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

But even this method will only work, if the drive is mounted, before you log into your user account and other users, who try to use Photos log off. Otherwise you cannot make the shared library your System photo Library. Your System Photo Library is always in use, as long as you are logged in. And you need to make it available, before you log into your computer. This is very inconvenient for portable computers, but an external drive would not matter that much with a desktop computer.

To use a photo library with the screensaver or to see it in the Media Browser in other applications like iTunes or Safari, you need to make it your System Photo Library. Check the Photos > Preferences > General: Use as System Photo Library. This option needs to be grayed out, when you are viewing the library in Photos. If it s not grayed out, click it. Then restart Photos and other applications, that want to use the photos.

(not interested in paying for iCloud storage)?

iCloud Storage would not help to share a photo library. You can share the iCloud storage, but the content of you cloud storage can only be shared in a limited way. iCloud Photos is for syncing the photo libraries between devices, not for sharing a library.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2019 1:02 AM in response to jriding

A Shared folder does not suffice to allow you to share a Photos Library. The shared folder is for sharing files, not libraries. Whenever a user writes to the photos library, the file ownership of internal files will change and you have to repair the library, before the previous user can access it again. Photos is strictly a single user application.

You can share the library between user accounts, if it is on an external drive (or in a separate partition or second internal drive), where you can enable the "Ignore Ownership on this volume" flag. Then you can use the library from a different user account. This flag will prevent the file ownership issues. Prepare the drive or partition like described here: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

But even this method will only work, if the drive is mounted, before you log into your user account and other users, who try to use Photos log off. Otherwise you cannot make the shared library your System photo Library. Your System Photo Library is always in use, as long as you are logged in. And you need to make it available, before you log into your computer. This is very inconvenient for portable computers, but an external drive would not matter that much with a desktop computer.

To use a photo library with the screensaver or to see it in the Media Browser in other applications like iTunes or Safari, you need to make it your System Photo Library. Check the Photos > Preferences > General: Use as System Photo Library. This option needs to be grayed out, when you are viewing the library in Photos. If it s not grayed out, click it. Then restart Photos and other applications, that want to use the photos.

(not interested in paying for iCloud storage)?

iCloud Storage would not help to share a photo library. You can share the iCloud storage, but the content of you cloud storage can only be shared in a limited way. iCloud Photos is for syncing the photo libraries between devices, not for sharing a library.

Photos Library Grayed Out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.