Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

photos.app share library command missing

I upgraded my MacBook Pro 2014 to Ventura (13.0.1) and am using Photos ver. 8.0 (511.0.180). I would like to share my library with my husband (and vice versa). Our Photos apps appear different even though they have the same build numbers. He has a Settings>Share Library command, and I do not. Did something go awry with my Ventura update, which I did using Software Update? How can I re-install either Photos or Ventura, or what should I do? This screen shot is of my Photos Settings, and there is no Share Library:

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Nov 11, 2022 2:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2022 6:39 AM

You can only join a Shared iCloud Photos Library from an iCloud Photos Library, so you have to enable iCloud Photos. To get started, you could create a new empty library, make that your System Photos Library, then enable iCloud Photos for this library and wait for an invitation from your husband to share an iCloud library. The storage for the shared library will count against your husbands iCloud storage. Once you have joined the shared library, you can import photos from your current library into your shared library.

Create or join a Shared Library

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2022 6:39 AM in response to MaryY

You can only join a Shared iCloud Photos Library from an iCloud Photos Library, so you have to enable iCloud Photos. To get started, you could create a new empty library, make that your System Photos Library, then enable iCloud Photos for this library and wait for an invitation from your husband to share an iCloud library. The storage for the shared library will count against your husbands iCloud storage. Once you have joined the shared library, you can import photos from your current library into your shared library.

Create or join a Shared Library

Nov 12, 2022 5:56 AM in response to MaryY

Ah, I don't have space to do that, so I either have to upgrade my iCloud account or do without. Otoh, my husband has an upgraded account, would like to create a Shared Library with me, but cannot do so even though it is not supposed to count against my space requirements. Kind of a Catch-22.

Thank you.

photos.app share library command missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.