Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade Old Snow leopard MacOS to latest OS without access to Apple ID

I got an old Mac Book of my uncle with Snow leopard which does not support most of the browser or website anymore. Did some Google to upgrade it and learnt that it first need to be upgraded to El Capitan and then to any latest one.

I am first time apple user so took some time to learn everything. When trying to upgrade to El-capitan, i am prompted for Apple ID and Password, which is not with me nor with anyone in my family anymore. I tried to create new apple ID but that also does not work. I read somewhere that new Apple ID won't help anymore.

Is there any way to upgrade and use my macbook or I should give up the hopes to upgrade?

I believe there has to be way, Apple is a huge organization and they certainly will have some ways to resolve this situation.

Seeking some help.

Regards,

Posted on Jun 7, 2019 3:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2019 10:47 AM

Did your uncle erase the computer and set it up again? If not, you need to do that to make it 'your' computer. Start with step 6.

Selling old Mac (4)          Apple support

If you have the disks that came with the computer or a Snow Leopard DVD, boot off the disk, and erase/reformat the drive using Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with Option GUID, then reinstall the OS. You can upgrade from there.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2019 10:47 AM in response to adwina49

Did your uncle erase the computer and set it up again? If not, you need to do that to make it 'your' computer. Start with step 6.

Selling old Mac (4)          Apple support

If you have the disks that came with the computer or a Snow Leopard DVD, boot off the disk, and erase/reformat the drive using Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with Option GUID, then reinstall the OS. You can upgrade from there.

Jun 7, 2019 3:36 AM in response to adwina49

So to be clear, did you create your own Apple ID and specifically sign out of the App Store (on your Uncle's account) and sign in with your own personal Apple ID into the App Store before trying to upgrade to El Capitan? I strongly believe this should work just fine.

Do you actually have the Snow Leopard install DVDs or did you not get those? You certainly can order them for $20 (still) and boot with them, erase the disk, and install a fresh Snow Leopard not tied to anyone's Apple ID then upgrade from there as the absolute worst case:

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple

Also, the Opera v 26.0 browser from Dec. 2014 is the most modern browser/version that you can use with Snow Leopard. It works very well, far better than the ancient version of Safari that comes with Snow Leopard:

https://mac.filehorse.com/download-opera/4821/download/

Upgrade Old Snow leopard MacOS to latest OS without access to Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.