Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sound is always muted, nothing works

On my Mac, the sound is always muted. NVRAM reset didn't help, resetting the SMC didn't help. It's still off, everything I tried doesn't work.

This is my sound pane:

I don't know how it got to this, but it started yesterday. Sometimes the sound turns back on for a short while but then it stops again. Please help!

iMac 27", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 7, 2019 9:34 AM

7 replies

Jun 7, 2019 10:45 AM in response to roz146

This could be a corrupt preference file. Try this, Whilst in Finder click on Go in the menubar, then click on Go To Folder.

Now enter this text, ~/Library/Preferences now press Go.

A new Finder window should open, scroll down the list to com.apple.systempreferences.plist, move it to the Trash.

Now restart your Mac, once it has booted up open System Preferences> Sound and see if you can now adjust the sound on your Mac. If you see a duplicate System Preferences.plist with a random selection of numbers and letters after plist, this should also be trashed.

If this doesn't work then download the 10.14.5 Combo from here, https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2000?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US if you already are on version 10.14.5 it will do no harm to install this, it will reset some caches and system files and may help resolve your problem.

Sound is always muted, nothing works

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.