Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Make a cell in Numbers register zero

Hi all I have a formula that is running in cells that will only populate when the data is entered in a nother cell.

There is a lot of calculations running in other tables which is taking these empty cells into consideration but because there is an error the cells are showing errors.

Is there a way of saying:

If there is nothing entered into a cell then dont run a calculation on all other cells that relate to it.

Please see screen shot to help explain this better.

So If i enter a name into A11 it bring up the data and populate across the table - but when nothing is entered it is still looking for the data so showing the red box - this effects other tables as well so basically need it to show zero.

Thanks for your help

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 8, 2019 3:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2019 11:52 AM

If you're simply trying to hide the warning triangles in the table then one thing you can do is simply "wrap" your existing lookup formula in IFERROR. =IFERROR(<your original formula>,"")

Or if you need 0's in B thru G you could use =IFERROR(<your original formula>,0). Then use a Custom Format to "hide" the zeros.

Whether that is a good solution, though, depends on knowing more about how your calculations work.

SG

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 8, 2019 11:52 AM in response to martynodell

If you're simply trying to hide the warning triangles in the table then one thing you can do is simply "wrap" your existing lookup formula in IFERROR. =IFERROR(<your original formula>,"")

Or if you need 0's in B thru G you could use =IFERROR(<your original formula>,0). Then use a Custom Format to "hide" the zeros.

Whether that is a good solution, though, depends on knowing more about how your calculations work.

SG

Jun 8, 2019 10:37 AM in response to martynodell

Hi Marty,

"If there is nothing entered into a cell then dont run a calculation on all other cells that relate to it."

A formula controls its own actions and the result of those actions. It cannot (directly) control actions of 'all other cells that relate to it,' but it can control what those downstream cells and their formulas find when they reference the cell containing the formula.

Wrapping your B3 formula in an IF statement can provide a switch that places a specific value in B3 if A3 is 'empty' and calculates the value shown in your example if A3 contains "apple" (or a different value is A3 contains a value other than "apple".

IF(LEN($A3)<1,"",formula)

where formula is the formula you currently have in B3.

LEN returns the LENgth (measured in characters) of the value in A3. IF the lenght is less that 1, IF returns a null string (a text value, with a length of zero). Replace "" with 0 (zero) if you want those cells to show 0 rather than appear empty.

Note that text values, including "", will be ignored by some functions (eg. SUM, MAX, AVERAGE, COUNT), but will cause an error if presented to one of the arithmetic operators (+,-,*,/). AVERAGE will include 0 in a list of numbers to be averaged, as will COUNT in a list to be counted.

Regards,

Barry

Jun 8, 2019 10:47 AM in response to Barry

Hi Barry,

Thanks for your reply! I have a very basic understanding of Numbers and what you wrote I really do not understand.

Maybe if I Explain my initial intentions it may be better than trying to polish my code that I have attempted.

On my table I want

Collumn A - which will only ever have ingredients names to be a type box so I can write for example Apple.

(This is why I used the look up formula)

And it will auto populate the same row with data from another table which holds all of the data. So Collumn B-G will be populated from another table holding the data.

The reason there will be some blank spaces is because I want to be able to type in an ingredient and the maths still works for other tables.

So i f i can get the unpopulated boxes to read 0 then all of the maths will function. But at the minute with my code it is searching for a number which isnt there.

Hope that is a little clearer?

Thanks again

Martyn

Make a cell in Numbers register zero

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.