Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best way to restore my time machine backup

Hi

I’ve got a time machine back up which is running High Sierra and my new computer is running Mojave what is the best way to make sure all files and everything is on my new computer?

Do do I need to downgrade to High Sierra first or can I simply restore files to the new computer but i want my computer to run Mojave

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 8, 2019 4:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2019 7:32 AM

djmenace wrote:
I’ve got a time machine back up which is running High Sierra and my new computer is running Mojave what is the best way to make sure all files and everything is on my new computer?

Do do I need to downgrade to High Sierra first or can I simply restore files to the new computer but i want my computer to run Mojave

Set up your new Mac - Apple Support

How to move your content to a new Mac https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204350

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 8, 2019 7:32 AM in response to djmenace

djmenace wrote:

Set up your new Mac - Apple Support

How to move your content to a new Mac https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204350

Jun 8, 2019 5:00 AM in response to djmenace

Migration Assistant is my preferred method. It is best to use Migration Assistant during the Startup Assistant, or at least when you have not created a user with the same name on the new Mac. It will work if you already have created a user of the same name, but it has had problems in the past.

If you have a cable to connect the two, that is the fastest method. WiFi takes a while.

Best way to restore my time machine backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.