Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

time machine backup

I want to start backup with time machine in iMac , do i have to use an new external hard drive or can i use my old one, where i have stored files from a macbook pro??

iMac Pro

Posted on Aug 9, 2021 1:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2021 1:59 PM

The best practice is to use a dedicated drive. But, you can use a drive that you have with other files as a stop-gap. Note that Time Machine prefers APFS format and will ask you to reformat the drive. So, that may be a consideration too. https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/mh15139/mac

2 replies

Aug 9, 2021 3:09 PM in response to panfilo112

Also, as a general rule of thumb it is wise to replace HD's about every 5-6 years as they wear out. When it comes to backup it is wise to do this!!! It is also wise that you can replace the HD without replacing the whole enclosure, this is one (of many) reasons a lot of experience users use the OWC Mercury Elite Pro as changing out the HD takes 5 minutes and a simple screw driver.

time machine backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.