Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail Downloads folders and files

Hello folks,

For a good time I have noted that attachments and even messages received on Mail are stored in folders, inside Mail Downloads, whose name is a big sequence of numbers and upper case letters. Days ago I decided to look these folders and files and noted: (1) it is a very big number of those and (2) apparently I already have those files, as I have the habit to save all my business Emails.

This observation gave me the impression I can deleted if not all most of these folders. I would appreciate a confirmation my perception is correct?

Thanks and regards Paulo

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 8, 2019 2:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2019 6:35 PM

Those numbers are unique IDs that link the download to the message in the Mail database.

If you delete the folders, the database will lose the ability to show the messages and attachments in Mail.

Similar questions

2 replies

Mail Downloads folders and files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.