Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help moving around Mail Folders!

How do I move my mail folders around on macbook pro? I can only create a new folder from my Comcast server email site and it syncs to my MacBook mail at the bottom and when I try to move it, it will then go into a subfolder. I have spoken to multiple AppleCare techs who can't fix it. Thank you for any help!

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 8, 2019 6:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2019 9:01 PM

The "top Comcast" and the "bottom Comcast" are the same. Mail puts the standard mailboxes, Inbox, Sent, Drafts, Junk, Trash, and Archive at the top.

All other mailboxes go at the bottom in the section for the account.

There is no way to move them to the top.

You can add a Favorites bar to the top of the window and add any mailboxes into it, including folders of other mailboxes.

In the View menu, select Show Favorites Bar.

Drag your "bottom Comcast" header up into the Favorites bar. Or, just select some subfolders to put there.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 8, 2019 9:01 PM in response to brendafromeverett

The "top Comcast" and the "bottom Comcast" are the same. Mail puts the standard mailboxes, Inbox, Sent, Drafts, Junk, Trash, and Archive at the top.

All other mailboxes go at the bottom in the section for the account.

There is no way to move them to the top.

You can add a Favorites bar to the top of the window and add any mailboxes into it, including folders of other mailboxes.

In the View menu, select Show Favorites Bar.

Drag your "bottom Comcast" header up into the Favorites bar. Or, just select some subfolders to put there.

Jun 8, 2019 8:52 PM in response to Barney-15E

Thank you both so much for walking me through this! So my folders are in the top Comcast and my problem is if I create a new folder it goes to the bottom Comcast and I can't drag it to the top Comcast--it stays there. Or if the folder stays in the top Comcast it goes to the bottom and if I attempt to drag it to move it up (to be alphabetical) to the top Comcast it drops into a subfolder.

Jun 8, 2019 6:53 PM in response to brendafromeverett

Under the Comcast at bottom left, grabs a mailbox and drag it to location you wish up or down.

On My Mac boxes will not be reflected on the server or other devices, you can Move emails to On My Mac boxes but that may or may not remove them from the server... in gMail IMAP it moves them to Archived on the server which no longer shows in inbox or Sent, but does in All Mail.

Which folder is highlighted when make a new folder it always goes to the second Comcast???

Jun 8, 2019 7:00 PM in response to brendafromeverett

You have an IMAP email account with Comcast.

IMAP stores all of your email on their server and it is synchronized with you Mac.

The folders you create in your Comcast account show up under the Comcast header.

Inbox, Sent, Drafts, Junk, Trash all appear at the top of the list in the "unified" folders.

Smart Mailboxes are search folders which look for messages that match your criteria and display them in those Mailboxes.

Do you have two Comcast headers below On My Mac? Or, are you looking at the Comcast Inbox?

The Inbox, as I noted, is "unified" under Inbox. If you had more than one account, all of the inboxes would be under Inbox, labeled by the account name.

Help moving around Mail Folders!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.