Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downloading a copy of High Sierra / Sierra to donate old 2011 iMac 27"

Hello Apple Community,

A question that has been asked many times previsouly, but as the months have rolled by the answer given here: Get macOS High Sierra has become void, as you get the message "The requested version of macOS is not available" from the Apple Store when you follow the link.

So why do I want this OS? I have a mid 2011 iMac 27" that I am attempting to reformat and do a fresh install as I want to donate it. I've (mis)managed it to the extent that it has no OS and consequently will not boot except to the lovely MacOS Utilities screen via Command-R on reboot. The reinstall macOS option does not work, nor does the Command-Shift-R option (restore from internet option) work either. Help! How can I get a legal copy of High Sierra or Sierra?

With thanks, Peter

iMac 27", 10.14

Posted on Jun 9, 2019 5:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2019 5:40 AM

Did you follow the steps in this Apple Support Topic?

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

You should download the original OS your Mac shipped with and then the new owner can upgrade it from there.

If you still need High Sierra, it's available in the AppStore here:

Get macOS High Sierra.

Similar questions

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 9, 2019 5:40 AM in response to Talyessin

Did you follow the steps in this Apple Support Topic?

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

You should download the original OS your Mac shipped with and then the new owner can upgrade it from there.

If you still need High Sierra, it's available in the AppStore here:

Get macOS High Sierra.

Jun 9, 2019 3:09 PM in response to macjack

G'day macjack, and thank you for replying.

Yes I was following these steps and got in trouble at step 6 "Erase your hard drive and reinstall macOS". After erasing my HD, I couldn't get the version of the OS downloaded when using macOS Utilities and choosing Reinstall macOS. when I do that for macOS Sierra,I get the message "To download and restore macOS, your computer's eligibility will be verified with Apple", then nothing happens. Going to Windows, Installer Logs I get two lines from the InstallAssistant acknowledging the HW and OS, then the following:

osinstallersetupd (506) osinstallersetupd registered client

unknown (468) install assistant (503) <Errors>: CGColorSpaceCreateWIthName failed for kCGColorSpaceITUR_709

unknown (468) install assistant (503) <Errors>: CGColorSpaceCreateWIthName failed for kCGColorSpaceITUR_2020

unknown (468) install assistant (503) <Errors>: CGColorSpaceCreateWIthName failed for kCGColorSpaceROMMRGB

unknown (468) install assistant (503:25242) NSColorList could not parse list file / System/Library/Colors/System.clr

unknown (468) install assistant (503:25242) Failed to connect (continuePane) outlet from (IASetupWindowController) to (NSTextFiled): missing setter or instance variable

After getting this several times, The last thing I tried was using Disk Utility to load the OSX Base System onto the main drive which also failed miserably. Which I'm thinking now was a very bad idea :-(

A long winded way of saying I'm still stuck! Any further suggestions? The machine I'm writing this message on is Mac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019)

With many thanks, Peter

Jun 10, 2019 4:56 AM in response to Lexiepex

Hi Lexieplex, great suggestion! Went through my purchase history via iTunes, was very excited to see a "purchase" of OS X El Capitan on the 23rd Oct. 2015, order Id MGS2X78FK5. I purchased Yosemite in 2014, Mavericks in 2013 and Mountain Lion in 2012

When I went looking at my Appstore list, El Capitan was not listed, nor were any of the other OSs. I don't believe I've changed countries for the App Store in that time, so am puzzled as to why I can't see it in my download list.

Kind regards, Peter

Jun 10, 2019 6:41 AM in response to Talyessin

Well, in my list there is ElCapitan, Yosemite, Mavericks, Lion, MountainLion, NOT Sierra, NOT HighSierra. But I never have need for that list, because I make a copy to keep in a safe place of the Installer in the Applications folder before I run the Installer.

Maybe some are in the hidden purchases list:

http://osxdaily.com/2018/06/20/hide-unhide-downloaded-apps-ios-app-store/

Jun 11, 2019 4:44 AM in response to Lexiepex

Thanks Lexieplex, I checked my hidden purchase list as well, only a long forgotten Evernote! BDAqua solved it for me, Shift-Option-⌘-R, that extra key press!

And you have suggested a good idea - keep the installer for each OS upgrade. Given Catalina has just come out, I should probably ferret out a copy of the Mojave Installer to save away for a rainy day in 7 or 8 years time!

With thanks for your help, Peter

Downloading a copy of High Sierra / Sierra to donate old 2011 iMac 27"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.