Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't find copy of Mac OS 10.13 to download. Is it not available for some reason?

I have offered to help a neighbor who's MacBook Pro (mid 2010) was hacked. I've been able to wipe the drive clean and would like to install OS 10.13.6 however after downloading the combo version of it, I get a message that it can't be installed because I don't have 10.13 already installed. So I guess the combo version is not actually a combo version? I've tried other combos' 10.13.3 etc. but have the same problem. The real problem is that I can't find a copy of just 10.13 to download. Is it not available for some reason? This computer was running 10.13.6 when it was hacked so I know it works on this model.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Mar 22, 2021 8:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2021 8:21 PM

It sounds like you have downloaded a combo updater, not a complete installer.

macOS 10.13 High Sierra https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/macos-high-sierra/id1246284741?ls=1&mt=12

Use Safari to open the link.

Similar questions

14 replies

Mar 25, 2021 10:53 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks to all of you. The 6 or 7 mgb disk space needed was indeed for the Mac OS Installer, which was put into the applications folder. With all your help, I found it, opened it and was able to install. I’ve been able to update to 10.13.6 and it’s various iTunes, Safari and security updates and all is well again. All is good again and my neighbor is stoked! !

Thanks for all the help.

Rich

Mar 23, 2021 7:20 AM in response to RichBP

FYI, dialabrain is just repeating with what I said earlier. You have downloaded an updater, not an upgrader. You still need the base 10.13 system installed before you can update it. The direct link I provided in my earlier post I took from the How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support page.

By the way, you don't need Safari to open that link in the previous paragraph, but you likely will need it to get the HS installer link to open to a valid Mac App Store page. For some reason it doesn't work in Firefox and possibly not some other browsers. It will open the app but present you with a blank page.

Mar 25, 2021 2:27 AM in response to RichBP

Sounds like you have download macOS Sierra, this downloads as InstallOS.dmg

which you then open to get InstallOS.pkg.

You then open that and get an installation window, this will say it takes 7MBs of disk space,

No Operating System only takes up 7MBs of space. This is not installing macOS Sierra but

creating the Install macOS Sierra.app which you will find in your Applications folder.

You use the installer app to install mac OS Sierra on the other mac. If you have downloaded El Capitan it works in the same way.

You started out asking about macOS High Sierra as that is what the mac had been running previously.

It is still available, why did you not download that.

Open Safari and click on this link,

How to get old versions of macOS – Apple Support

Go to the Download OS section and click on macOS High Sierra this redirects you

to the App Store High Sierra page it should say Get or Download.

This will download the full installer app for macOS High Sierra to your Downloads folder.

It is 5.23GBS in size and is all you need to install a full working version of macOS High Sierra 10.13.6.

No need for Combos or version 10.13, it no longer exists.

Connect your mac to your router via cable rather than rely on WiFi.

Do not use your mac while it is downloading

and do not use any other devices that share the same internet connection.

If the App Store says ‘Open’ then it is detecting a previous download of the install app

go to the Applications folder locate Install macOS High Sierra.app.

Move it to the Trash, empty the Trash.

Restart, click on the link again, the App Store should say ‘Get' or 'Download'.

To install any of these installer apps on your friends mac you need to create a bootable USB flash drive.

16GBs or larger. Rename the USB flash drive as MyVolume.

Please note there is a problem with doing this for Sierra which there is a workaround for but I won't tell you

as you really want macOS High Sierra.

How to create a bootable installer for macOS – Apple Support

With Install macOS High Sierra.app in your Applications folder open the Terminal app from Applications> Utilities.

copy and paste this command

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

press Return

enter your password (any input will not be echoed on screen)

press Return

follow the prompts

after initial activity Terminal will look like it is not doing anything, it is

be patient the process takes about 20-30 minutes.

It has completed when you see the

<username>$

prompt.

The bootable USB should be plugged directly to your mac. 

Restart the mac while pressing and holding the option/ alt key.

In a minute or two you will see the Startup Manager, select the USB and press Return.

When booted to the USB you will see a Utilities panel, select Disk Utility and press Return.

Click View in the menubar and select Show All Devices.(This instruction is for macOS High Sierra and newer)

In the left hand panel highlight the Disk (Apple SSD… or similar) not any indented Volumes.

Click Erase.

Give the Disk a name.

Format: APFS for macOS High Sierra, Mac OS Extended (Journaled) for El Capitan or Sierra

Scheme: GUID Partition Map

Click Erase.

When Done Quit Disk Utility.

Click on Install OS press Continue the installation process should start up

follow the prompts.

Mar 25, 2021 12:52 PM in response to Limnos

In October 2019 apple changed the way Mac OS X El Capitan and macOS Sierra downloaded

(they also brought back Mac OS X Yosemite for download).

When you click on the links for Yosemite, El Capitan or Sierra it immediately starts to download a disk image,

Yosemite and El Capitan are both called InstallMacOSX.dmg. Sierra is called InstallOS.dmg.

When these have downloaded you open them to get an InstallMacOSX.pkg or InstallOS.pkg.

Opening these packages will open an installation window which tells you that it will take about 7MBs of disk space.

This is where people get confused as this is not installing the requested OS but creating the Install OS X Yosemite.app

or Install OS X El Capitan.app or the Install macOS sierra.app in the Applications folder.

macOS High Sierra and newer still come from the App Store and download the installer app directly to your Applications folder

Screenshots for El Capitan.

Mar 22, 2021 8:56 PM in response to Limnos

Your right, and the 10.13.6 combo requires and already installed OS later than 10.8! Just found this out cruising around here. This computer came with 10.6, so I am installing that from the original disk that came with the computer. I'll then update to 10.9 or later, and that will give me a basis to use the 10.13.6 combo that I've already downloaded. There's always an answer here somewhere, it just hard to get to sometimes!

If anyone knows that what I'm doing isn't going to work, I'd appreciate a heads up!

Thanks

Mar 24, 2021 7:24 PM in response to Limnos

Lemnos & dialabrain,

thank you both for your help. You both lead me to the same page where I could download the older systems. However I made the mistake of downloading (4 times!) with Chrome. At least I hope that was the mistake. Two of those times the downloads failed but not until they had download five or 6 GB of information unfortunately. The last two times when I went to install, when I got to where you choose the disk you’re installing it on, it said it needed at least 6 MB of space? I tried it one of those times and it went through what looked like a normal installExcept that at the end, there were no changes. I’m now downloading (with Safari) 10.11 which the page says can update Snow Leopard 10.6.8. I hope I’m on the right track.

Thanks again for your help.

Mar 24, 2021 7:56 PM in response to RichBP

Ok, I’m giving up. Unlike the download of 10.9 that said the install required 6 megabytes of disk space, the 10.10 says it needs 7 megabytes of disk space! I have no clue as to the problem, so I’ll give it back running 10.6.8. Is it safe for him to use it like this, or should I tell him he needs to buy a new computer? I think he uses it primarily for email, searches and solitaire!

Mar 24, 2021 8:14 PM in response to RichBP

I believe you mean gigabytes, not megabytes. The last time a computer operating system needed only megabytes was probably in the 1980s. ;-)

You must not have wiped the drive the way you said you did if there isn't enough room for 7 GB. If it had 10.13 on there before then it definitely has room for something older.

Some of this may depend upon what it was you actually "wiped". 10.13 would actually be on 2 partitions. One would be a pretty small one for the Recovery partition and its minimal system. The other would be for a regular installation and would be the rest of the drive. If you try to install to the Recovery partition there won't be room.

Mar 25, 2021 10:03 AM in response to Limnos

Lemnos, no, I mean megabytes ! I knew immediately that something was wrong because it said megabytes and not gigabytes. The download was 5.something gigabytes. The drive was wiped clean and in disk utility it shows as empty with just a bit less space available than the drive is rated for, which is normal. The recovery partition you mention doesn’t show when you wipe the drive, but I thought when you wipe the whole drive that it would be included. Should I wipe it again and start over? It seemed strange to me that the 10.9 download said it needed 6 megabytes and the10.10 said it needed 7 megabytes at the beginning of the install. Although I’m far from expert, I’ve had Mac’s since the Mac Plus running system 7! I’ve wiped drives and installed and reinstalled systems many times and felt capable of helping my neighbor. But this has been a nightmare!

Mar 25, 2021 12:34 PM in response to RichBP

What you are seeing reminds me of an older method of downloading installers which provided you with a small app which looked like an installer but was in fact an app to download the real installer. The real installer ended up in your Applications folder with a name like "macOS Install". I recently download a bunch of macOS versions and it provided full installers directly so I thought they had changed things from over a year ago.

Can't find copy of Mac OS 10.13 to download. Is it not available for some reason?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.