Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notes locks

Why would my notes respond to Touch ID on IPad but same notes are asking me to insert a password on my IPhone? Settings show use Touch ID. I didn’t set a specific password for these individual locked notes!

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 12

Posted on Jun 9, 2019 1:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2019 1:59 PM

You did set a specific password, as that is the only way to lock notes. You cannot lock notes with just Touch ID or Face ID. Once you set a password you can authorize unlocking notes with Touch ID, but you still will need to use the password under certain conditions, most notably if you have never unlocked them with a password on the device.

There is more detailed information in this link-->Lock notes on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 9, 2019 1:59 PM in response to CAPS54

You did set a specific password, as that is the only way to lock notes. You cannot lock notes with just Touch ID or Face ID. Once you set a password you can authorize unlocking notes with Touch ID, but you still will need to use the password under certain conditions, most notably if you have never unlocked them with a password on the device.

There is more detailed information in this link-->Lock notes on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac - Apple Support

Notes locks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.