Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recovery Key

How can I get a new recovery key after I’ve logged into my Apple Acct. Security settings.

My old IPod insists on a recovery key to access my iCloud Acct.

It doesn’t recognize my Apple credentials nor my 2 factor authentication.

iPod Shuffle (2nd Gen)

Posted on Jun 9, 2019 10:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2019 10:25 PM

Apple offers 6 digit verification code which gives me access but no mechanism to reissue a new
RK- key for old iOS 5.1.1 iPod..

Not true.

If you have your password and your trusted device, you can create a new recovery key. If you don't have the password or trusted device, you are permanently locked out of that account.

See >>> https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204152

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 13, 2019 10:25 PM in response to mchrusch

Apple offers 6 digit verification code which gives me access but no mechanism to reissue a new
RK- key for old iOS 5.1.1 iPod..

Not true.

If you have your password and your trusted device, you can create a new recovery key. If you don't have the password or trusted device, you are permanently locked out of that account.

See >>> https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204152

Jun 13, 2019 5:49 PM in response to mchrusch

If your AppleID is using the newer 2 factor authentication, then nothing related to the older 2 step verification applies. When you switched your AppleID to 2 factor authentication, you un-enrolled it from 2 step verification.

Anything requiring access with your AppleID on the older devices has to be used by appending the Apple 2 factor authentication 6-digit code to your AppleID password.

Nothing about 2 step verification applies any longer to your AppleID nor anything you login to with your AppleID once you switch to 2 factor authentication.

Jun 20, 2019 3:53 PM in response to LACAllen

There is no option to replace a recovery key anywhere on the apple ID site. However, all these articles posted point you to the apple ID site to replace your recovery key. The option doesn't exist. I just talked to Apple phone support, and he pointed me to the same place and was as confused as I was on how to get one.

How does one go about getting a recovery key?

Thanks.

Recovery Key

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.