Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I change the value in a cell based on the total sum of a different sequence of cells?

I am dealing with inventory, where my total per piece changes based on how many pieces I buy. Example: 12-23 Pieces will be $8.25 per piece, 24-35 Pieces will be $8.10 per piece, etc.

the total number of pieces I buy is spread out across several cells. What formula would I use to add the total from those cells, and if the quantity was in the “12-23” range it would automatically put “$8.25” in the value cell, but then if I changed the quantity, and it became the “24-35” range it would automatically change to $8.10?

Posted on Jun 10, 2019 2:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2019 2:07 AM

Pending answers to Barry's questions I've made some assumptions to give you an idea of one way to approach the problem:

The formula in D2:

=INDEX({8.5;8.25;8.1;8},MATCH((A2+B2+C2),{0;12;24;36},1))

This totals the quantities in A2, B2, and C2 and looks up where that total is in the list of the lower ends of your quantity ranges \ {0;12;24;36}. That position is fed to to INDEX, which retrieves the corresponding value from {8.5;8.25;8.1;8}, which lists the prices for each of the quantity ranges.

SG

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 12, 2019 2:07 AM in response to stephcherry16

Pending answers to Barry's questions I've made some assumptions to give you an idea of one way to approach the problem:

The formula in D2:

=INDEX({8.5;8.25;8.1;8},MATCH((A2+B2+C2),{0;12;24;36},1))

This totals the quantities in A2, B2, and C2 and looks up where that total is in the list of the lower ends of your quantity ranges \ {0;12;24;36}. That position is fed to to INDEX, which retrieves the corresponding value from {8.5;8.25;8.1;8}, which lists the prices for each of the quantity ranges.

SG

Jun 10, 2019 2:33 PM in response to stephcherry16

What price is charged per unit for a quantity less than 12?

Are there further price reductions for quantities greater that 35?

Does the 'best price apply to ALL the items or to just the items in the specified range?

The formula for counting/totalling the pieces will depend on the actual location of the cells containing that information (Numbers and identification of the pieces). If the cells holding the numbers are not reserved exclusively for counting that specific piece.

A more detailed description of what your document looks like will help in determining a solution to fit. A screen shot of the design would also be useful.

Regards,

Barry

How do I change the value in a cell based on the total sum of a different sequence of cells?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.