Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

create child account

can i create a child's account with their own apple id? my child already has an apple id and has games on ipod. he wants to add music. i was going to add him to my family share plan so i can monitor what songs hes listening too. when creating account it says i cant use his apple id. i dont understand.

iPod Touch (6th Gen)

Posted on Jun 11, 2019 6:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2019 7:01 AM

If they already have an Apple ID, you can't use that ID to create another ID. You can invite him to join the family using his current ID. You can then enable Ask to Buy.

Family Sharing

Family Sharing - Set up

Family Sharing -  Ask to Buy

Family Sharing -  Ask to Buy - Get Help

3 replies

Jun 11, 2019 7:15 AM in response to jbolo85

If they already have an ID why would you need to create another one? And you cannot create an Apple ID from an already existing Apple ID.

The Account and the Apple ID are the same thing.

You can invite their existing Apple ID to the Family Group.

If they are already part of a Family Group, they cannot be invited to another one unless they leave the family group they are in, or if they are under 13, they are moved to the new Family Group by the Family Organizer of the original Family Group.

Leave Family Sharing - Apple Support

or

Move a child to another group using Family Sharing - Apple Support

Jun 11, 2019 8:46 AM in response to jbolo85

him to my family share plan so i can monitor what songs hes listening too

Be aware that adding him to a Family Sharing plan for Apple Music does not give you access to the music he would listen to.

He would get his own independent iCloud Music Library. Your only way to see what he is listening to is to look on his phone or possibly the Mac/PC where his music library is stored..

create child account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.