Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Mail Extremely Slow

For the last week or so iCloud email has been EXTREMELY slow. It doesn't matter what network (work or home), computer, or app I'm using. I could be using Safari on a mac, or Chrome or Firefox on a PC. Even the Mail app on my iPhone is unbearably slow. Like it takes 5 minutes for an email to load slow. Is anyone else having this problem? I called Apple Support the other day but their Tier 1 was so unhelpful they asked me if I tried reinstalling the app lol.

Posted on Jun 11, 2019 6:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2019 11:50 AM

Just an update on this, it seems that Apple has finally fixed this issue. I didn't do anything to correct the issue, but the last time I checked my email everything was as fast as usual. Seems like the slowness lasted about a week and a half.

10 replies

Jun 11, 2019 7:45 AM in response to tdecks

The apple mail application ( if you are using IMAP account ) is configured with iCloud server account , you have signed in with Apple ID and password in system preferences > iCloud , and this will mirror with mails in www.icloud.com

The mail application can be corrupted for that it is always recommended to delete the account and once again configure it , see this article https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/mail/mail35803/mac

Using third party softwares , anti virus , unknown incompatible apps will only corrupt inbuilt apple applications .

Sometimes creating a new test user account see this article https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204443 and then configuring the mail account is to be tested .

Jun 11, 2019 9:06 AM in response to tdecks

See these articles Use Mail Connection Doctor - Apple Support

Verify an email account’s outgoing server in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Change Outgoing server settings in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Automatically manage connection settings in Mail on your Mac - Apple Support

The mail application doesn't open , then try safe mode come out from safe mode , after that hold shift key and double click on mail application icon , also if your Mac and iOS device are signed in with same Apple ID and password and mails are syncing so are other applications data , or if you mail storage has crossed the designated limit , network speed , correct network settings , if disk is corrupted see this article https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/disk-utility/dskutl1040/mac , these might be some reasons .

The correct settings are essential to open a mail application and to load it , also it might be a safari corruption ( major cause ) .

Jun 11, 2019 9:33 AM in response to tdecks

We are users in the forum , and no ideas about apple iCloud servers , you can send feedback to this link https://www.apple.com/feedback/icloud.html

Personally I had faced some issues with my internet service provider , their server is sometimes down , I can check it in connection doctor of mail application the circle continuously rotates in front of IMAP and SMTP and this will definitely effect the connection of server.

Its not a fault of iCloud server , that mails loads slowly .

Jun 11, 2019 8:54 AM in response to tygb

Hi tygb,

Thanks for the explanation. I understand how everything works, I'm in networking by trade. But I don't think corruption of the mail application or mac user profile really accounts for this slowness. As I stated before it is slow on all devices, whether pc or mac, whether browser or Apple mail app. Unless you think corruption on my mac or iphone would also cause slowness in the browser of another computer?

Jun 11, 2019 9:11 AM in response to tygb

Still none of that explains my issues. You haven't supplied anything that would explain slowness on iCloud.com using Firefox on a PC. This is not just a mac issue. It would seem that Apple is having some issues with their servers, and is either not acknowledging it, or it is only affecting certain users and they are unaware of the problem.

Jun 11, 2019 11:40 AM in response to tygb

tygb, again your response is not helpful. I understand that you don't work for Apple so no need to tell me you are a user. I have tested with two different ISP's. The provider at our work is a business class connection with 10Gb link. I think you have not fully read or comprehended my original post. Read again: Multiple networks, multiple ISP's, Different Computers, Different Browser, Different Applications. ALL SLOW!

iCloud Mail Extremely Slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.