Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Speaker Distortion & Face ID Not Working After ios 12.3.1 Update

I have an iPhone X (256 GB) that is a little more than a year old. I have had no major issues with my phone until the most recent update. I installed the 12.3.1 update and now my phone's speaker is extremely distorted whenever the ringtone or an clock alarm sounds. The sound is garbled and full of "static," something I've never heard before. Furthermore, Face ID has ceased to function. I tried resetting Face ID, but I keep getting an error message that says, "Face ID is not available now; please try again later." This makes it very annoying to log into certain apps and to quickly open my phone, for which I relied heavily on Face ID.

I have already read all the Apple support articles relating to this and I have tried all of the suggested fixes, without success. My primary reason for posting here is to make Apple aware of this issue and to see how many other people are experiencing similar issues since updating to the latest ios.

iPhone X, iOS 12

Posted on Jun 11, 2019 8:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2019 11:05 AM

If you tried all the suggested fix whatever that might be, then schedule and appointment with the Genius Bar and take it in to the nearest Apple store, as there is no Apple here in these user to user technical forums.

2 replies

Jun 15, 2019 2:25 PM in response to razmee209

Actually, that's just what I did. Well, first, I contacted Apple Support and was online with them for almost an hour trying to find out what was wrong with my phone. Ultimately, the Apple rep made an appointment for me at the local Apple Store Genius Bar. When I went in, there were at least two other customers with the exact same issues I was having, both since updating to ios 12.3.1. The Genius Bar rep ran some additional diagnostics on my phone and declared that my phone's hardware was defective. Thankfully, since I was still in warranty, they replaced my phone with a new iPhone X, but I don't understand how my <1 year phone went from working just fine to being "defective" after downloading an ios update. I'm wondering if there isn't something much bigger going on with this update.

Speaker Distortion & Face ID Not Working After ios 12.3.1 Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.