Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes backup greyed out.

How do I fix the greyed out backup button in Itunes?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 11, 2019 11:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2019 7:12 AM

Hi Dandanielio,

I saw your post about backing up your iPhone and I'm glad to see how I can assist.

Have you tried disconnecting your iPhone and then restarting the computer? If not, give that a try to see if this clears things up.

To narrow things down a bit, are you able to Sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod using iTunes on your computer?

If you're able to sync and the issue is specific to backing up, give these steps a try from the link titled If your iTunes backup couldn't be completed or you can't restore from a backup:

"Try again after each step 

1. Make sure that you have the latest version of iTunes.
  2. Connect your device to your computer with a USB cable, then select your device in iTunes. If your device doesn't appear in iTunes, you need to fix that issue before you can continue. Or, if you forgot your passcode or your device is disabled, learn what to do
  3. Turn off both your computer and your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. Then turn them on again.
  4. If you use a Mac, skip this step. If you use a Windows PC and iTunes won't respond or your backup never finishes, you might need to update, change, disable, or uninstall your security software.
  5. If you own more than one computer, try to make a backup on your other Mac or PC. Or, use iCloud to back up your device and restore from your iCloud backup.
  6. If you see an alert that says an error occurred, your backup is corrupt or incompatible, or there's not enough disk space, find your error message below to learn what to do next.
  7. Contact Apple Support."

I hope this helps get you started! Take care.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 12, 2019 7:12 AM in response to Dandanielio

Hi Dandanielio,

I saw your post about backing up your iPhone and I'm glad to see how I can assist.

Have you tried disconnecting your iPhone and then restarting the computer? If not, give that a try to see if this clears things up.

To narrow things down a bit, are you able to Sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod using iTunes on your computer?

If you're able to sync and the issue is specific to backing up, give these steps a try from the link titled If your iTunes backup couldn't be completed or you can't restore from a backup:

"Try again after each step 

1. Make sure that you have the latest version of iTunes.
  2. Connect your device to your computer with a USB cable, then select your device in iTunes. If your device doesn't appear in iTunes, you need to fix that issue before you can continue. Or, if you forgot your passcode or your device is disabled, learn what to do
  3. Turn off both your computer and your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. Then turn them on again.
  4. If you use a Mac, skip this step. If you use a Windows PC and iTunes won't respond or your backup never finishes, you might need to update, change, disable, or uninstall your security software.
  5. If you own more than one computer, try to make a backup on your other Mac or PC. Or, use iCloud to back up your device and restore from your iCloud backup.
  6. If you see an alert that says an error occurred, your backup is corrupt or incompatible, or there's not enough disk space, find your error message below to learn what to do next.
  7. Contact Apple Support."

I hope this helps get you started! Take care.

Jun 12, 2019 10:21 AM in response to Dandanielio

Hi Dandanielio,

Thanks for the reply. Which restrictions do you have enabled? Are you able to turn them off temporarily to test?

Use parental controls on your child's iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Set up parental controls on Mac

If that doesn't make a difference, I recommend creating a temporary administrator account on your Mac to isolate the issue. Once you create the account, log in to the new user account and see if you're able to make an iTunes backup. This will tell you if the issue is system-wide or user-specific: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac. Feel free to reply back with the results of testing, and the community may be able to further help.

Have a great day.

Jun 12, 2019 12:44 PM in response to Dandanielio

Hi Dandanielio,

We appreciate the follow-up. Thanks for testing that in the new user account. That tells us that the issue is user account-specific. To narrow things down a bit further, try booting into safe mode using these steps: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac. Once you boot up into safe mode, log in to your normal user account and see if the same thing happens; safe mode runs a diagnostic/repair and prevents some items from loading, so it will help rule out a number of potential software causes.

Kind regards.

Itunes backup greyed out.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.