Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gmail not working at all on iphone

I have been having this problem for a few weeks now where my phone will constantly give me the error that the gmail imap server won't connect. I have tried so many different things to fix this, I removed and re added it, I tried doing it manually and automatically or doing it automatically and then changing it manually after but nothing works. I've turned my phone on and off and even updated to the most current software after the problem started but I still get the error every time. I know there are already a million threads about this problem but none of them have really been able to solve my problem. Thank you for the help

iPhone XS, iOS 12

Posted on Jun 11, 2019 11:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2019 11:46 AM

If you are using the built in email app and if you have 2 factor authentication enabled for your gmail account you will have to generate an application-specific password for the iPhone email app. The alternative is to install the gmail app and use it instead of the built in email app.

Another possibility is you are using a VPN connection; gmail doesn't play well with many VPN providers.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2019 11:46 AM in response to bperott

If you are using the built in email app and if you have 2 factor authentication enabled for your gmail account you will have to generate an application-specific password for the iPhone email app. The alternative is to install the gmail app and use it instead of the built in email app.

Another possibility is you are using a VPN connection; gmail doesn't play well with many VPN providers.

Gmail not working at all on iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.