Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2018 MacBook Air vs 13" MacBook Pro without Touch Bar

My college starts in July. I have to buy myself a laptop. Now I'm confused between the 2018 MacBook Air and the baseline 13" MacBook Pro, cause the difference is just of a few thousand rupees. I use all my devices just for the most basic stuff. No video editing or even gaming, just researching and mailing. Also, should I buy the 128GB or 256GB model? Thanks

MacBook Air

Posted on Jun 12, 2019 12:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2019 12:22 AM

This is entirely a personal decision, but here is what I think:

The advantage of the MacBook Air is that it weighs less and costs less and has a less powerful CPU. If you do not care about the lighter weight, and the cost really doesn't matter to you then I suggest getting a MacBook Pro.

Keep in mind the RAM cannot be upgraded, and the SSD usually cannot be upgraded either. So the main questions are:

• Whether to have 8gb of RAM or 16gb of RAM (memory)
  • Whether to have 128gb SSD or 256gb of SSD (data storage)
  • But also if you want to get the AppleCare Protection Plan (warranty extension) for India (I am assuming you are in India) or not.

Again, this depends on if you want to save money. As a college student it is good to get a MacBook that will survive all your years of college until you graduate. If you take lots of photos and have a huge music collection or a computer/engineering student or do video editing or graphic design (using Adobe products) I strongly suggest getting at least a 256gb SSD. Or, if you just want to have extra room even if you do not think you will need it, 256gb is a good choice.

If you do video editing I strongly suggest a MacBook Pro over a MacBook Air.

I also very strongly suggest you get Apple Care Protection Plan to get the longer warranty. This will not protect against loss, liquid, or drops, but if something fails it is well worth it! It is good for 3 years.

https://www.apple.com/in/support/products/mac.html

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 12, 2019 12:22 AM in response to Arnav1

This is entirely a personal decision, but here is what I think:

The advantage of the MacBook Air is that it weighs less and costs less and has a less powerful CPU. If you do not care about the lighter weight, and the cost really doesn't matter to you then I suggest getting a MacBook Pro.

Keep in mind the RAM cannot be upgraded, and the SSD usually cannot be upgraded either. So the main questions are:

• Whether to have 8gb of RAM or 16gb of RAM (memory)
  • Whether to have 128gb SSD or 256gb of SSD (data storage)
  • But also if you want to get the AppleCare Protection Plan (warranty extension) for India (I am assuming you are in India) or not.

Again, this depends on if you want to save money. As a college student it is good to get a MacBook that will survive all your years of college until you graduate. If you take lots of photos and have a huge music collection or a computer/engineering student or do video editing or graphic design (using Adobe products) I strongly suggest getting at least a 256gb SSD. Or, if you just want to have extra room even if you do not think you will need it, 256gb is a good choice.

If you do video editing I strongly suggest a MacBook Pro over a MacBook Air.

I also very strongly suggest you get Apple Care Protection Plan to get the longer warranty. This will not protect against loss, liquid, or drops, but if something fails it is well worth it! It is good for 3 years.

https://www.apple.com/in/support/products/mac.html

Jun 12, 2019 12:27 AM in response to rcosta887

And to be clear, if you don't do anything powerful, and don't have or plan to have a large photo and videos library, or graphics library, are not doing computer science/engineering or heavy duty gaming, and just need something basic to do web browsing and homework, a MacBook Air or MacBook Pro w/ even the standard 128gb SSD is fine. I just would for sure buy Apple Care, and probably an extra power charger, and perhaps a nice case for whichever MacBook you get. If you don't mind spending a little extra on top of that, upgrade to 256gb SSD.

2018 MacBook Air vs 13" MacBook Pro without Touch Bar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.