Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2018 macbook pro caps lock LIGHT not working

My caps lock light stopped working this week. Caps lock works. Only the light is broken.

Am looking for suggestions to fix this before I head off to the apple store.

Below is background and what I have tried to date.

I have a 2018 Macbook pro (T2 chip) running OS 10.14.5.

No answers have been found in searching the communities. Users of an App called Karabiner had this problem in 2018, but I do not use Karabiner.

I reset NVRAM/PRAM, and the SCM with no change. Last step was to reinstall the OS from the net. The caps lock light remains non-functional.

iMovie and Adobe flash player were the only recent installs (June 11, yesterday). Haven't tried removing them yet.

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 12, 2019 12:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2019 12:59 PM

My caps lock light is now working. Below is what I did, but I am not convinced as to why it resumed working.

I put iMovie in the trash and restarted. The light was still not working. I opened a MSWord document, since it has a caps lock indicator in the status bar, and tapped caps lock multiple times. The caps lock status toggled with each tap and somewhere along the way (10-20 taps?), the light also began to work. I reinstalled iMovie and the caps lock light is still working. Go figure.

I don't know the inner workings of the caps lock button, but this behavior is reminiscent of a dirty electrical contact. Not sure I believe it, but that's the behavior.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 12, 2019 12:59 PM in response to Dwnhillhiker

My caps lock light is now working. Below is what I did, but I am not convinced as to why it resumed working.

I put iMovie in the trash and restarted. The light was still not working. I opened a MSWord document, since it has a caps lock indicator in the status bar, and tapped caps lock multiple times. The caps lock status toggled with each tap and somewhere along the way (10-20 taps?), the light also began to work. I reinstalled iMovie and the caps lock light is still working. Go figure.

I don't know the inner workings of the caps lock button, but this behavior is reminiscent of a dirty electrical contact. Not sure I believe it, but that's the behavior.

2018 macbook pro caps lock LIGHT not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.