Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iwatch 4 needing Bluetooth headphones?

I’ve synced my iPhone with my iwatch 4 and it has the downloaded music on it but when I attempt to play music from my watch it tells me I need to pair Bluetooth headphones ... I’ve reset my watch twice and my OS is uptodate on both devices, what’s wrong?

Apple Watch Series 4, watchOS 5

Posted on Jun 12, 2019 4:34 PM

10 replies

Jun 12, 2019 8:08 PM in response to yavett

It does NOT need to be Apple Products. I have paired Sony noise canceling headphones to my Apple Watch. And I have paired 2 very old (like 15 years old) Bluetooth headphones to my Apple Watch.

Unless there is something really funky about the Bluetooth headphones, you should be able to pair them with your Apple Watch.

There is ABSOLUTELY NO reason you have to buy Apple Bluetooth headphones to pair with your Apple Watch!

As to why they do not play music via the Apple Watch speakers, it is my feeling that driving the speaker would result in drawing too much power and drain the very small Apple Watch battery too quickly. The Low Energy Bluetooth is much more battery friendly, and you get to use the batteries in the Bluetooth headphones to vibrate air.

iwatch 4 needing Bluetooth headphones?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.