Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Samsung T5 SSD External Hard-Drive Installation Errors

So I recently bought myself a 1TB SSD Samsung T5 External Hard-Drive to boost the speed of my 3 Year old MacBook Air. I’m not exactly the tech-savvy kind of person so please bear with me

Installing it is a bit of a bear (no pun intended) as it currently has two issues with the SSD Drive:

1. After Downloading the Software required to use the Hard-drive, I’ve updated the software only to find an error, stating “No Samsung Portable SSD Drive Is not connected” despite it being physically connected to the USB port for some wacky reason. I’ve tried deleting and reinstall the software, re-arranging files, Having The security and privacy section of my system preferences accept the hard-drive and erasing the contents of the hard-drive numerous times without any luck.
  2. Viewing Disc Utility, apparently it states that it only has 44 MB or GB (can’t remember which one, sorry) despite it supposedly having 1TB of space, I have no idea what happened there.

My Brother has the exact same Model of MacBook Air and installing the samsung drive for him worked like a charm (although keep in mind he owns a Samsung SSD external hard drive as well)

I also have another query about how to make it actually work, but thats only after I get these first two issues to work for me.

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 12, 2019 6:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2019 6:08 PM

First of all, do not use the Samsung Portable SSD software. The Samsung software is useless. I have two T5 drives and have Mojave installed on both and they work fine.

Plug in your T5 to a USB port, it should show up on the desktop and in Disk Utility. Open Disk Utility. Click on "View" in the upper left corner of the Disk Utility window. Select "Show All Devices". In the Disk Utility left column select "Samsung Portable SSD T5 Media". At the top of the Disk Utility window click on "Erase". You will get a drop down window. Select Scheme: GUID Partition Map, Then Format: APFS. Now click on the "Erase" button at the lower right corner of the drop down window. Wait for Disk Utility to finish reformatting your T5. You will now have a volume named "Untitled" upon which you can install macOS Mojave. You will have to download the Mojave installer. After Mojave is installed, you can use Migration Assistant in the Applications Folder/ Utilities to restore your data.

If you happen to have Carbon Copy Cloner, you can just clone your internal drive to the newly reformatted T5. You can download a 30 day free trial from here: https://bombich.com

Similar questions

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 15, 2019 6:08 PM in response to CrumblyMacbook

First of all, do not use the Samsung Portable SSD software. The Samsung software is useless. I have two T5 drives and have Mojave installed on both and they work fine.

Plug in your T5 to a USB port, it should show up on the desktop and in Disk Utility. Open Disk Utility. Click on "View" in the upper left corner of the Disk Utility window. Select "Show All Devices". In the Disk Utility left column select "Samsung Portable SSD T5 Media". At the top of the Disk Utility window click on "Erase". You will get a drop down window. Select Scheme: GUID Partition Map, Then Format: APFS. Now click on the "Erase" button at the lower right corner of the drop down window. Wait for Disk Utility to finish reformatting your T5. You will now have a volume named "Untitled" upon which you can install macOS Mojave. You will have to download the Mojave installer. After Mojave is installed, you can use Migration Assistant in the Applications Folder/ Utilities to restore your data.

If you happen to have Carbon Copy Cloner, you can just clone your internal drive to the newly reformatted T5. You can download a 30 day free trial from here: https://bombich.com

Samsung T5 SSD External Hard-Drive Installation Errors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.