Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP Early 2011 rejects a new SSD

Good afternoon, y'all!

I've decided to freshen up my old MBP with 16GB of RAM and 1TB of SSD (Apacer AS350X).

RAM works like a charm but SSD has left me frustrated for weeks now.

I won't describe each step I took to install it, just the latest: I've erased and installed the original 10.6.7. version of Mountain Lion on the original 320GB HDD that comes with the Macbook Pro, and it works fine. What doesn't work is when I try to do the same with my new SSD.

New SSD is the same as HDD in terms of settings: file system is also Mac OS Extended (Journaled), Owners Enabled.

When I try and install the ML on the new SSD from the original DVD, it takes bloody ages to do it and ends with nothing (telling me it wasn't possible to install).

Okay, I then took the SATA to USB cable, connected my new SSD to Macbook and installed the ML on it this way. AND IT WORKED! You wonder where the surprise is...when I switch the HDD for SSDs and turn on the computer IT IS NOT WORKING. I.e., I get the same circle with a line through it.

What can possibly be the reason for this??? I am lost.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 22, 2022 4:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2022 4:01 PM

Either the SSD is not compatible with this laptop...not all SSDs are compatible with all computers when installed internally. Or, maybe the internal hard drive SATA Cable is bad. I've never had to personally replace this cable in any model except for the MBPro 13" (mid-2012) non-Retina model, but your existing cable may not be sufficient to support an SSD. I've never heard of an "Apacer" SSD, so I rather think the SSD is most likely not compatible with this laptop.

You do have to be more careful with older Macs and which SSDs you install internally in them. I also know that some Samsung SSDs (older EVOs I believe) were also not compatible with many older Macs. I know that the Crucial MX500 SSD is compatible (avoid the Crucial BX500 SSD), and the OWC Mercury 6G SSDs.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 31, 2022 4:01 PM in response to vyazmiteen

Either the SSD is not compatible with this laptop...not all SSDs are compatible with all computers when installed internally. Or, maybe the internal hard drive SATA Cable is bad. I've never had to personally replace this cable in any model except for the MBPro 13" (mid-2012) non-Retina model, but your existing cable may not be sufficient to support an SSD. I've never heard of an "Apacer" SSD, so I rather think the SSD is most likely not compatible with this laptop.

You do have to be more careful with older Macs and which SSDs you install internally in them. I also know that some Samsung SSDs (older EVOs I believe) were also not compatible with many older Macs. I know that the Crucial MX500 SSD is compatible (avoid the Crucial BX500 SSD), and the OWC Mercury 6G SSDs.

MBP Early 2011 rejects a new SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.